Turkey Hunting in Stewart State Forest

Two Track

Is anyone having any luck for turkeys in Stewart State Forest?

I managed to get the last week of May off, and need to where to try next - still looking to get my first wild turkey ever.

After only seeing a hen for 2 weeks in Sterling Forest, I attempted Stewart.

I was out along southern portion of Baron Road and on Lindsay Road.

A couple other hunters I spoke with saw hens and a couple of jakes.  No one I talked to has heard any gobbles there.

Saturday wasn't a bad day out there over all. Heard a few shots, but the police were at the range and another area had dog trials with blanks.

The police rounds I could identify, but not sure if the rest were blanks or for birds.  Followed a deer, and observed some deer trails where I have not hunted yet - filing that knowledge for the fall.  I did surprise a couple cyclists who decided to wander into the field I was set up on - at least that was 11:30 and would have ruined any chances for the day otherwise. 

Sunday I was chatting with a hen, but saw nothing other than geese and blue heron. Heard 3-4 shots between 11:00 and 12:30 that were not from the range.  Tt sucked hiking in 1.5 miles in the light rain, sat in the rain, and then hiked out 2 miles in the rain (was not raining when I started out).

Sitting in rain made a good excuse to break-down the A-5 in the house and give it another cleaning and wipe-down - after a nice nap of course.

Being stuck in the office until 7 or 8 PM does not allow me the 1 to 1 1/2 hours driving time to even reach the parking lot to try to see where the birds are roosting.  To top it off, I have had family obligations Sat. afternoon's that last until the evening.  Needless to say, I have been winging it.

Any tips of where to set up are helpful.

I have two dekes, a hen and a jake, not sure how I should position them or even if I should have them both out.

What seems to work, field or open woods set ups?

• 1 month later...

Late follow-up post to my hunting week as there was a lot of changes at the office when I got back to work.

Saw 3-4 hens in Stewart during the week, which is much better than 1 hen over 2 full weekends plus a week day at Indian Hill.

I had a turtle block my path on the way in.  I got close to snap a pic on my phone.  Later I realized he could have "snapped" me.

Boy did the snapping turtle stink, but he was moving and turning to block me from passing him.

Did end up sharing a field with another hunter at Stewart.  He was in the tree line and his decoy was in a depression that I could not see into.  We spoke late morning when going to try out another area.  He couldn't believe that I hiked in the that far - recommended biking in to me.  Problem is I can't pedal uphill without tiring out - even in low gear.  I grew up in very flat terrain, highest point in my county was 32 ft.

I have a shoulder sheath for carrying a semi-auto, but how do a carry a bird without a bike basket or turkey vest?

I have a very small budget so any inexpensive solutions are welcomed.

I guess my first step is to start biking a bit to be able to do the hills.

Working on plans for the fall turkey and season now.