Where can i Waterfowl hunt in NY?

Ricpac

Thank you for all that information, .

I'm noting where this post is and when I see  of my  old waterfowl buddies I'm going to ask them to read about the Algae

I saw some changes in the migration, but didn't know why, but thought that climate change could be one of the reasons..

The Brant seemed to stay longer, and this year, and  I believe that the Old Squaw stayed longer also. I used to keep track of when I started seeing the birds arrive, but I did not track when they left, so I think that they're here later, but can't verify it.

I learned a lot from your 2 posts.

Blue green algae is not really an algae at all, it's bacteria that uses sunlight. Just wanted to clear that up. In the aquarium hobby, one cannot treat blue green like it was a plant. It occurs both in salt and freshwater.

Thanks, as I said, I am not the one to ask about it. Me, grey beard, and I am sure many others, would appreciate any more info you have about it!

I'm not exactly an expert in the bacteria myself, but being exposed to it in the aquarium hobby, I know a little more about it and wanted to clear up any misconceptions. The bacteria, like most algae thrives in certain conditions, mostly strong sunlight and stagnant waters. Once established, its very hard to remove, as there isn't a fish that would touch it. At least with a true algae, it produces O2 for fish during daylight hours, but BGA only consumes. Some lakes get read bad with it and starts to float instead of adhering to the bottom.

One can find as much info as they desire by searching for the correct terms in Google and visiting planted tank forums, such as theplantedtank.com. Blue green algae, BGA, bacteria algae, etc.

• Like 1

I just skimmed some stuff on blue green algae aka cyanobacteria, but that doesn't qualify me to lecture about it, however I did notice some things asked here and also noticed that I misspoke.

It seems that is without a doubt does kill waterfowl, but another source said waterfowl may spread it - probably when it is not in a toxic state. The effect of the botulism bacteria on waterfowl is more well-known, but that is not the same bacteria nor the same toxin. Maybe because cyanobacteria thrive in clear water exposed to the sun and waterfowl like weedy, muddy, and shady areas or at least standing trees or cattails nearby? That would make sense because the botulism bug likes the same real estate as waterfowl.

Interestingly, lab mice will select toxic blue green algae over its normal food and even over harmless algae. Off course this kills the mice... Dogs, sheep, horses and pigs are said to die within 1 to 24 hours of eating the stuff. The abstract of the paper says "animals" are thought to select the cyanobacteria, usually in science the term animal is not restricted to mammals, but it did not specify if they meant birds as well. The complete report is not available for free, if anyone wants to send me a check for $31.50 I will order the complete report and summarize it.

I said incorrectly that the name cyanobacteria comes from cyanide poison, which is wrong. It comes from the blue pigment the bacteria uses to photosynthesize like a plant.

The stuff also is credited with creating the earth's atmosphere. I think that means it does produce oxygen. I think it is the botulism bacteria or other decomposers (anaerobic bacteria?) that remove the oxygen and smother the fish.

A little too much info, but since we strayed there I thought it was a good idea to make corrections. (This topic should be devoted to its own thread sometime). For our previous discussion, I would say waterfowl are known to be killed by cyanobacteria, if they are like mice they would be attracted to it and choose to eat it before corn or native foods, and if they are like the mammals mentioned would die within 24 hours. On the other hand, another source suggested that waterfowl spread it from water body to water

body, even if true, they may be spreading it during a non toxic phase, but that is just a guess, the complete report wasn't available and the abstract/summary did not express that - its a guess. If (if) the birds ate it and got deathly sick and die within 1 - 24 hours, I am not sure how likely they will fly into your decoys, but then again, anything is possible... Eating birds was also questioned, there was a number of human health impacts listed, but nothing about eating contaminated birds. It did say that eagles have died after feeding on ducks exposed to cyanobacteria.

Does anybody here go duck hunting near the 5 boroughs? Or southern ny? If your willing to have someone tag, ill gladly put some work in. I'm the only person besides the club that wants to go waterfowl hunting.

If you decide to go at it by yourself, line up several alternate spots that look "ducky" and allow both legal and physical access. Watch the spots right before you plan to actually hunt them, best is the day before if possible. Set up accordingly based on what you see. Try to get on what is known in waterfowling as the "X". The x is where they want to land to feed, drink, grit, loaf. Dont think you don't need decoys just because you are on the X, you need those birds to lite within 40 yards, trust me 90% of the time to do that you need at least a few blocks. Don't confuse the x with a roost. A roost is where they sleep usually at night, but sometimes they feed nocturnally and roost during the day. If you hunt the roost you risk running the birds out of the area for the entire season or indefinetly. The next best thing to the X is near a "Pass". A pass is a bird highway in the sky. If you don't hunt the x or a pass you are pursuing what is known as "traffic birds". Very hard to decoy or call and this is when "sky busting" or sky blasting" which is frowned upon is done. If you cant find a spot, time is better spent scouting than hunting traffic, but it can be done, but taking 45 yard Hail Mary shots isn't the way to go about it.

The DEC and the FWS does have some controlled hunts in New York. Some are "free roam" and require scouting. The others you are restricted to a location which is either a numbered marker or an actual blind. Don't get too excited about the DEC or FWS hand picking a hunting spot for you, this is set up so hunters don't crowd each other, not because they are giving you a semi-guided hunt. There are special regulations that differ for each area, by reservation or lottery, and some areas require you have a boat or a boat or a dog, or 3 decoys or 5 decoys, limit on how many shells you can carry, etc. On the FWS lands at least, you need to have taken the DEC waterfowl ID course and they charge $10 or so per hunt. Its all on the DEC website. I am not sure, but I think there is a controlled hunt downstate.

Edited by mike rossi

The south shore waterfowlers are the guys you want to get in touch with , great group of guys, you def want to try to make the duckboat show this fall looks like it will be Oct 27 this year.We have a few tables of waterfowling gear on display and sponsor the BENELLI shoot, come over and say hello.There is def a learning curve to hunting ducks on the salt marsh lots of variables and danger but it comes with the territory.We can point you to some places without burning spots.google the waterfowlers website for updated time and location on the show

You can also give us a call at the shop for local migration updates and some pointers 516-678-5554

Good luck

Rob

Mike Rossi.. Your waterfowl hunting discussion was excellent. I learned by myself. I wish I could have had that advice  when I started.....Also, I'll read those sites, thanx.

Ricpac..I agree with LI Outdoorsman..I've been to a number of their festivals, and met some good guys there, and at the Waterfowl ID course.