Hello All and Thanks

jfarrell90

Hello everyone, new to the forum and still finding my way around the site. I am from Long Island but hunt primarily on land that some buddies and I lease up in Prattsville. Would love to hunt Long Island more but have not yet put in the time to scout the public land in the offseason (shame on me). Love to bow hunt deer and may try my first year of bear this fall. Like to hunt rifle as well and have been on a few destination hunts for wild boar.

We put in a few small food plots on our land and really prepped up hard this year... hoping it pays off!

Looking forward to reading info and sharing plenty too. Thanks in advance for all of your help, looking forward to this year's season!

Welcome....You will see in time, as I did,  that this is an excellent forum and the members are VERY helpful.

I hope you find some good spots on LI.. (You probably know about the Coop on LI and that they stock pheasants)

Where did you boar hunt ?

My buddy and I went to Texas, right next to Halletsville. Hogs were a lot more elusive than I ever thought they would. Saw more deer then I could count though. We went with a group of 4 and got 3 hogs over 3 days, still not bad. If you ever go I highly reccomend hitting the creek beds and sand pits (if there are any) during the day as the hunting was red hot in those areas during the day... of course we found that out the last day there.

greybeard, where are the coops you speak of? I have been to Rocky Point twice but didnt have a chance to scout it so it was rough, especially with a climber on my back...

Rocky Point and Otis Pike are the 2 that I am most familiar with.I've hunted those areas  since the mid 60's..

Different spots.. different cover...I prefer Otis Pike, but that's my opinion.. I'm mostly a small game hunter,so you may have a different opinion.

Check the saltwater wetlands(you need a permit, it's free).. they're for waterfowl, but some have small game, and, or deer hunting...The DEC website'll let you know which spot has different hunting.

I didn't care for Saranoff, but I met a deer(bow) hunter who said it was very productive.. It was very thick cover

There's Montauk also, but except for coon hunting out there many years ago, I didn't hunt there...

Lotsa ticks in all of them.

Thanx for the info on the boar.