Food Plot Update - HELP

Been doing alot of work to the property this year. 

So far 4 Crab Apple trees (they took)

And recently just planted 4 Dunston Chestnut trees.

Ive attached pictures of the foodplot we plant. Antler King Clover Max and Chicory. I havent seen much activity in the field but It looks like its pretty beat down. If you look at the second picture I can see grass starting to break threw but I cant tell if this is how my plot is supposed to look or not? 

Secondly, Im looking to plant more trees anyone have any suggestions?

post-3285-0-45958300-1381184797_thumb.jp

post-3285-0-59446400-1381184814_thumb.jp

Plots are rarely 100% anything but yours looks good.  Its a little late in the year as most herbicides need actively growing weeds. You can wait and spray in the early spring.  Go to your ag store and ask about Poast Herbicide.  Poast (sethoxydim is the generic name.)  will not harm clover but I have no idea about the chicory (I doubt if any approval for chicory was ever tested or asked for.  It's approved for a bunch of leafy vegetables so it may be ok)    Follow directions and ask for help.  This kills  grasses/small grains/foxtail etc

Alternative- If you keep clover mowed  (under 6 inches) you can mechanically prevent the grasses from taking over quickly.....poast will make for a really pure stand......but do you need a pure stand?

As for trees??? If you have high deer concentration you need to protect the saplings from deer, rabbit and mice damage,  Over the years I have planted over  600 trees of various types and lost over 500 to critters some as long 8 years after planting.

Good luck

Your clover will most likely spread and choke out the grass and take the plot over next year.  First year clover plots alway look sparse but really come on the next year with proper fertilizer and top it with a little lime too.  Clover is almost like a weed and will spread and reseed itself for years.  Your plot looks excellent to me. 

I posted a pic of one of my clover plots a couple weeks ago.  It looked about the same as yours the first year.

To take care of grass in clover you want cleth  It is 74 but this will last you a couple of years.

http://www.keystonepestsolutions.com/arrow-2ec-herbicide-1-gallon-select-2ec-26-4-clethodim-115.html

You need to mix with crop oil, also found on this site.  You may be able to find it locally as well.

You want to spray in summer when temps are warm and grass is growing.   Mowing will help with weed control in clover plots, but grasses will get worse with mowing.  SPRAY

Chicory will be killed by cleth though

Raptor and pursuit should not kill clover chicory, but I have never used them, not sure on availability or cost.

Plots will always have weeds, and that is OK,   Most clover plots should last around 5 years if done correctly, then plant a Nitrogen sucker like corn and watch it grow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!