Hunting a scrape

Renegade Hunter

So last night I went out on an evening sit. I didn't see one deer so I decided to check the field before the sun went over the horizon. I walked to the top of the hill in my field, still hugging the treeline and spotted the nice buck I have been watching this year. (3 1/2 yr old tall 8  . He was crossing the middle of the field. I am new to calling, so I tried a couple contact grunts. He lifted his head and looked up the hill, then immediately trotted to an apple tree that had a nice sized scrape under. I noticed the scrape before but figured he was visiting it at night. He started rubbing his horns and head in the branches and doing his thing. Then stepped out 15 yards from the treeline and looked up the hill at me. I think I got him fired up pretty good and it was awesome to watch.

My question is how long do these bucks visit these scrapes? Should I sit over it as early as this weekend? If so I need to clear out some lanes for my climber. Any advice for this situation would be appreciated.

Edited by Renegade Hunter

Either you hit the odds and should play the lottery, or you have:

A. a buck comfortable in his territory and hasn't yet picked your stink up

B. an overly aggressive buck

Most bucks like that won't make themselves vulnerable in daylight on a scrape until later in the season. I'd be looking at why he's doing that. Is it a low spot where he can't easily be seen? Is it a new buck this year that's moved into the area?

The fact he signposted at your calls tells me he's there for the taking. Did he approach the scrape with a j-hook or did he run right to it wind at back or nose? That would lead me to believe how he would approach it the next time possibly.