NZ Fall plot timing

With about 100 days untill the opener, I have yet to till up and plant a new 1/4 acre plot on the lease. Not trying to sound lazy, I'll rent a tiller and get the work done but I don't want to plant to early or late for that matter. I think though, from what I've read about plot so far is to not use clover because of location and the extra cutting needed. So I'm wondering for a plot newbee what might a good time to plant be so I can plan the time & work needed?

I'll post a pic or two if I remember to bring the dang camera next time I'm there.

With about 100 days untill the opener, I have yet to till up and plant a new 1/4 acre plot on the lease. Not trying to sound lazy, I'll rent a tiller and get the work done but I don't want to plant to early or late for that matter. I think though, from what I've read about plot so far is to not use clover because of location and the extra cutting needed. So I'm wondering for a plot newbee what might a good time to plant be so I can plan the time & work needed?

I'll post a pic or two if I remember to bring the dang camera next time I'm there.

I would have to say that using a walking tiller to turn a 1/4 acre is a huge undertaking, even more so if you have rocks. Rocks will destroy a tiller in no time. Unless you were talking about a tiller for a tractor, then that would work. At this point you would probably want to go with a Brassica plot. Get the plot tilled, add lime and fertilizer by mid to end of July and then plant your seed in the 1st week of August.Good luck.

OK pic's up and some work done.

1st up is the main plot area, hard to get the whole thing in one pic but it's slightly kidney bean shaped, decent amount of sun.

2nd pic is after it was all wacked down. And a light application of 23-0-7. Also took about an hour and dug off the surface rocks, and minor obstructions. There's two small stumps that I'll have to work around, but if you can't get equipment to the spot what choice is there. I plan to be back up there in about a week with a tiller and seed it.

3rd pic is part of a old logging trail about 50 yards from the plot. It gets decent sun, not as much as the plot spot so I'm thinking to try some of that throw & grow secret spot jazz. What could it hurt, wacked it down.

post-3-13145529206_thumb.jpg

post-3-131455292077_thumb.jpg

post-3-131455292091_thumb.jpg

Thanks! And yes I tend to browse in page view-rotated monitor.

Headed up there this weekend with an 8hp rear tine tiller. Bought a new spreader to for the following week, because the axel finally rusted out and dropped a wheel on the old one. I think the handheld shoulder strap deal will work out better for a smaller plot. I'm going to try Forage Oats for the main spot.

Well I have all 3 spots tilled up, and new respect for the work it takes to get even small plots cleared. Rented Frankin-tiller, 8 hp rear tine. That thing has some balls. 40 minutes each way just to get it from camp down the trail to the job, I kept telling myself it'll be worth it. A few more days of sun without rain so I didn't plant and it's still early July. Hopefully in about 2 weeks I'll be back up there forcast providing.

Well lets hope mother nature cooperates and it rains in the next day or so. Plot & trails planted. I may have over seeded the plot just a tad but I'm trying to make up for what seeds don't take or birds might eat. The hand operated spreader worked great, then I used the back side of a leaf rake to scratch over. Then I looked over two more sections of old trails about 20 yards each that could make decent additions, perhaps next year. Tell you what minus the tiller it's still a fair amount of work with hand tools.

Went up to camp this Sunday to bring up a few supplies and checked on the plot.

Should have brought the camera but I figgured after only a week nothing could be going on. The Forage Oats are already starting to pop! Inch or so high in some spots.

• 2 weeks later...

Its way to early to plant oats , in our area around the second week of Sept works the best . I found deer attack the plots when the oats are under 4 inchs, when they are tender . Made a mistake one year of planting to early and the oats got to high and the deer seem to aviod the plots ..

• 1 month later...

Went to put the seat & cover up in the stand near the plot last weekend.

No, they an't hitting the plot at all. But you can clearly see where there are 2-3 bedding spots right in it, and the tracks. Softer ground, good view, glad I could accommodate them.  :-X

• 2 months later...

Last report on this plot for the year for what it's worth.

Closing weekend NZ there was about 4-5" of snow, more by the time I left Sunday. Anyways when I got there Sat morning there was alot of tracks, with some nice size prints btw, in and out of where the plot is. And I could clearly see where there was spots deer cleared out to get to what was under the snow. I am still convinced I planted way to early, some of the oats were seeding. But it's nice to know there's still some traffic on the property. And if the deer want to bother digging under 1'+ of snow now, they can have at it.

Probably won't use the same seed next year. Considering using the spot for a summer plot, then till it up about a month before Bow opens and plant up something else, like brassicas, clover, or chicory for better results.