Boar hunting illegal with new law

Governor Cuomo signed a bill prohibiting "captive" boar hunting, but I can't figure out if hunting them in the wild is still ok? It says the hunting, and import of boars is illegal once the law goes into effect. I assume it only applies to game farms but it doesn't specify in the stories I've read so far.

Eurasian Boars Prohibited In New York

A new law was passed on October 21, 2013 that immediately made it illegal to import, breed or release Eurasian boars in New York. In addition, after September 1, 2015, it will be illegal to possess, sell, distribute, trade or transport Eurasian boars in New York. You can find a link to the new Eurasian Boar Law in the right column under "Links Leaving DEC's Website".

Questions and Answers

Q. Can I hunt Eurasian boars in NY?A. Prior to passage of the new law, any person with a small game hunting license could take Eurasian boars at any time and in any number. However, under authority of the new law, this may soon change due to pending Department regulations that would make it illegal to hunt Eurasian boars in NY. Keep checking this DEC web page for updates.