Trans fat fiasco

rant.gif

Ok, so I'm going along with people thinking that it's a good thing that they want to ban trans fats.  I mean, the studies have cost the american people huge amounts of money and then all the bureaucracy of analysis and then the cost of getting legislation through; that's a LOT of taxpayer money!  Of course they won't give those cost number out. But it's going to save a ton of lives, right? 

Wrong.  

"Avoiding foods containing artificially produced trans fat could prevent 10,000 to 20,000 heart attacks and 3,000 to 7,000 coronary heart disease deaths each year, according to one study from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

According to the US Census Bureau , the US population is at 300 million and climbing steadily.  So if we use the worst case numbers,  that means that the legislation will affect .0067% of the population at a maximum for heart attacks and .0023% of the population for heart disease deaths.  

Now, call me a bad person but are those numbers really worth protecting 27000 people, max, against themselves? But we're not over-regulated or anything. They just can't find enough ways to blow our tax money.

<phew> ok, I feel much better now. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

• Like 1