Bushnell the "Truth" Laser Rangefinder with ARC

Was curious if anyone has tried out these newer rangefinders with "height compensation". I have an older Nikon ProStaff Laser 440 model that I have been using and was curious if the newer models with that ARC compensation are worth taking a look at? Interested in the Bushnell Truth model, or the Nikon Archers Choice.

I personally don't understand them.  To me they seem gimickie to squeeze more money out of hunters.  If your bow is sighted in to a certain distance, then it doesn't matter where you shoot from.  If I take a 30 yard shot with  my 30 yard pin, the deer is dead from the ground or the tree stand.  30 yards is 30 yards.  When you sight your bow in, whether you realize it or not, you have already compensated for the arc of the arrow!

Unless you shoot 3-D on a consistent basis, knowing the exact distances out to 40 yards is a guessing game at best. Most can judge 20 yards, no brainer there, but 5 yards either way past 30 yards and it's a miss or worse yet a bad hit? I like to know the range to various trees etc., from my stand ahead of time, so when a nice buck shows up, I know where to aim. These tools aren't gimmic's at all? Seems that when your looking for a reply to a question, you get reply's from people who never used the item? Thanks for all the "good" advise.

Unless you shoot 3-D on a consistent basis, knowing the exact distances out to 40 yards is a guessing game at best. Most can judge 20 yards, no brainer there, but 5 yards either way past 30 yards and it's a miss or worse yet a bad hit? I like to know the range to various trees etc., from my stand ahead of time, so when a nice buck shows up, I know where to aim. These tools aren't gimmic's at all? Seems that when your looking for a reply to a question, you get reply's from people who never used the item? Thanks for all the "good" advise.

Yes, a rangefinder is a GREAT idea, we were specifically commenting on the ones with "arc compensation" as had been orginally asked.

You have to know the distance.  You can't guess or field judge.  at teh very least, have land marks of trees or somethign so you know when a deer walks buy exactly what he is without rangefinding.

If it is 40 yards to your target from a tree, it is exactly the same thing as if it were 40 yards to your target from not in a tree.  40 yards is 40 yards no matter how you slice it.  The special "deer hunting" range finders for bows are a gimmick.

If it is 40 yards to your target from a tree, it is exactly the same thing as if it were 40 yards to your target from not in a tree.  40 yards is 40 yards no matter how you slice it. 

WRONG- you fail! :mail:

According to your theory "length" should = 5 in this example, but as you can see it doesn't!

As the other 2 known sides increasses, so will the difference of the unknown side(actual distance to target from treestand)

pythagoras.jpg

WRONG- you fail! :mail:

According to your theory "length" should = 5 in this example, but as you can see it doesn't!

As the other 2 known sides increasses, so will the difference of the unknown side(actual distance to target from treestand)

pythagoras.jpg

WRONG!  you fail my friend.

Because I don't measure (and neither do you) to the base of the tree and then over to my target than calculate the hypotnuse!  If you are standing in your tree stand and range find an object, it is a STRAIGHT line.  if it is 40 yards, it is 40 yards, no fancy math needed whatsoever.  This is exactly why people go spend money on these ridiculous rangefinders thinking 40 yards isn't 40 yards because they are in a tree!

Substitute the value 20 for A and 90 for B. This would represent a hunter 20 feet above ground with a target 30 yards from the base of his tree. It is only 2 foot further. 

and exactly what I just posted.  you are not measuring from the base of the tree if you are in your tree stand!!  So you are saying that when you see a deer, you climb down, measure from the base of the tree, then climb back up to figure out how much extra distance it is now that you are 20 feet up?  DUH, of course you don't

If you are in your tree, and you range find an object at 40 yards, guess how far it is... 40 YARDS!!!! (cuz, if it isn't redundant enough, you arn't measuring from teh base of the tree, you are measuring from where you are shooting).

I just gave you a mathematical equation with ONLY one right answer and you want to argue that!

Yup- you're smarter than math,lol

I'm not arguing with the mathmatical equation.  I am telling you that it does not come into effect.  Clearly the common sense side of you isn't reading this very clearly.

Let me sum this up in as simple of terms as I can.

that equation is saying that (and i will use hunting terms to make this crystal clear):  From the base of the tree to the deer is not the same distance as from the tree stand / hunter to the deer.  NO SHIT!!!  WHO in their right mind would measure from the base of the tree to the deer, then climb up  in their stand and think it was the same distance?  Is that how you hunt?  Do you see a deer and say "hey deer hold on a second,"  Get out of your stand grab a tape measure, calculate the distance from the ground to where you shoot from, then pace off from the tree to the deer, then climb back in the stand get out your pad a paper and a pencil and calculate the hypotnuse for the optimal yardage?????/  Hell No you don't.

If you are standign in your stand and pull out a range finder, the distance it measures IS THE DISTANCE. PERIOD, end of story. It is a laser that measures a straight line from you to the target.   It makes no damn difference what the distance from the base of the tree is.  DUH.  If the range finder says it is 40 yards, it is 40 yards.

Further to that point.  If you are in your back yard, and you have a target set up at 40 yards, it is EXACTLY the same as 40 yards anywhere else on earth.  You don't get magically trasported to some parelle universe where 40 linear yards in your back yard is somehow not 40 linear yards from your tree stand (measure on a straigh line because that iS WHAT A RANGE FINDER DOES).

How could you possibly argue that?