Unknown black spots

Slugger09

A friend of mine shot a yearling doe on Long Island.  When butchering he noticed these black spots on the fat of the deer.  Does anyone have a clue what this is?  He is going to bring it to Ridge in the next couple of days so they can determine what it is, but I thought maybe someone here had a clue what it is.

post-408-0-28835200-1386217352_thumb.jpg

This is a healthy fresh node from one of my harvest in October that I had to process right away because of warm conditions: post-1622-13862412741882_thumb.jpg

I have a set of shoulders that's been hanging 8 days...I will check the nodes to see if they darkened when I butcher them tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager
  • Like 1

Curiosity made me check one of these shoulders...shot this doe 11/25...shoulder has been hanging since:

The filet knife is pointing to the fat sliver where the pre-scapular lymph node resides:

post-1622-13862506648783_thumb.jpgpost-1622-13862506779288_thumb.jpg

This node is not nearly as pink as my fresh pic from October, but it is also no where near as black as your friends.

post-1622-13862506910488_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager