duck hunting long island

long island hunter 5

I've never seen anyone duck hunt near the pier. Most go to the back of the harbor and shoot over the water back there. I know a guy that got some grief by locals in the back, and even a Nassau cop gave him grief. I hunted CSH recently, but went out  further into the harbor ( not the Huntington side).

This is my opinion... I do not know if it is legal, but Legal, or not I would not shoot near the pier. You'd be right in front of houses. Also many people stop there to look over the Harbor, and I'd bet that at some point the cops are gettin' a call from someone .  There are loads of people that go to the ramp and to the pier  to take photos too . Also, the [pier is a herring fishing spot at this time of year..  In addition,, on that peninsula across from the pier  is an area where people walk.and you'd  probably be shooting in that direction. ( you may not see the walkers from the water.. ).

Remember what happened in Huntington , now no one can hunt in Huntington waters.

The Oyster Bay Constables can give you the regulations. I've called and spoke to them recently, it was a pleasant experience. Nassau  pd marine patrol  is around a lot too, so you can check with them also.