Pine Island wheather

Vince1

• 1 month later...

Where is Pine Island anyway? You mean the black dirt region? That would be Orange county, around here in Dutchess south sides are clear (the sunny ones) and the north sides still have some remaining snow....Not exactly sure about Orange county...

Turkeys by me are hanging out between a catholic church, a synagogue, and a golf course.  They must have god and golfers on their side. 

I may head out to Pine Island area to see the turkey situation there to plan for the upcoming season soon.

With the predicted rain for all week-end, I will not make out there for a week or two.

Are you looking to camp out at Pochuck Mountain State Forest?

If so, plan for a muddy entrance and parking area.  The puddles were car-sized at the entrance at end of the deer season.  Now you have the snow melt added to it.

Unless you are heading in the to the stream (which is a bit of a hike), suggest carrying in water.

You will have to pack out all trash from there and dispose of at home.

No portables for bathroom there either.

The Appalachian trail is just outside of Pochuck Mountain. I have not hiked that part of the AT, so have no way to advise on that trail, but that is another option for you.

I passed through part of Sterling State forest yesterday.  Due to similar cover and terrain, there most-likely will be some snow on the ground, especially in the sheltered/shady areas of Pochuck Mountain and Appalachian trail.

By the way, I got the camping itch too. In my teens and early 20's the first "spring" camp out we did was usually the weekend of the time change.

yup got the itch bad... feel terrible heading out without the family, wife loves to get out to, she gave me crap hunting season about it, this season she getting her license don't like bow.

starting to hate ny more and more. this place aint outdoors friendly.

Pochuck was the plan, but with the uncertain conditions and rain been holding off.

my five year old is a trooper but he has a habbit of jumping in puddles maybe I will buy him some decent rain gear or something other than the poncho he has and head out with him for an over nighter. with temps in the 50's next weekend if it aint gonna rain will prolly hike the Appalachian up with him.

been wondering if I can park at that little spot on the road by pochuk right before pochuck starts. looks like its part of the peoples property right across the road but I never been to sure. wanted to hike in from there up that creek to the south but just went in to the entrance.

really gotta get me a truck that can hold two dogs and two kids. jeez, either that or start car camping which I am strongly opposed to. always have issues findin a spot close I can bring my dogs

Not sure about parking down the road.  Usually there some places to park a car near an AT trail road crossing.   Just not sure about this area.  I know of two-three spots around Sterling Forest and Indian Hill to access the AT. 

Worse case is to just park at Pochuck. I know at least 6 cars/trucks fit in there.

One of my kids puddle-jumped until the clothes were falling off from being so soaked.

All we could do was laugh and grab a towel.

Same kid a few years later sat in the rain to see how long it would take for it to put out the campfire completely.

Now they dart for cover.

If you go, don't forget the hot coco and marshmallows.  That is first thing my kids ask about as we pack up to go.

If you drink coffee, here is an option to reduce carrying a coffee pot.  Campmor has a single-serve coffee strainer/filter.  Put in the coffee and pour hot water into it.  It filters down to your cup.  Toss out the grinds and rinse the filter when done.

Wife drinks the coffee, not me. So I got her that.  If car camp, we take the 2-cup perculator pot.  She is happier with her coffee.

The wife likes car camping to have the air bed.  But then again, she was a city girl.