Corned venison recipe

RangerClay

Hey there!  This is my recipe for corned venison.  I make a double batch every year for our church St Patricks Day dinner and it's always the first one dish gone. 

Brine Ingredients

2 quarts water

1/4 cup canning salt

5-6 peppercorns

3 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons McCormicks pickling spices

Mix all of the ingredients together and boil for 5 minutes in a covered pot.  After 5 minutes, set aside to cool.  Your house will smell so good after this.

Place cooled brine a 1 gallon zip lock bag.  Add your roast, remove excess air and zip shut.  Refrigerate for a minimum of 3 days.  5 days is much better.  Ocassionaly flip it.

I prefer the top round from a hind quarter for this.  They average about 2 pounds each on an adult deer.  But any roast will do.

After soaking is complete, wrap roast in foil.  Leave some space inside because the roast will make it's own juices to cook in but seal tight so it doesn't leak.  Bake 350 about 1 hour per pound.  Pull from the oven when the center is 150 degrees.  Seal the foil back up to preseve heat and let the meat rest on the counter.

In a large pot bring your brine to a boil.  Once boiling you may get a greyish foam on top.  It's cooked blood from the roast.  Skim it off then add baby carrots, potatoes (I like little salt potatoes, don't add salt) and a head of cabbage cut into quarters.  Boil for 30-40 minutes or till the cabbage is done.  Be sure to keep a lid on this so you don't lose moisture.

When the vegetables are 5 minutes from done, remove the meat from the foil.  Slice thin and place on a deep roaster pan.

Pour off half of the vegetable brine.  Now pour the entire pot, vegetables and remaining brine over the sliced venison.

Serve and enjoy!

• Like 3