Smoking bullhead

edbone

Anybody know how to smoke bullhead?Have a smoker for 4 years now(masterbuilt elec.<3 it.)Have mastered meat but never tried fish.Its time.Somebody told me just soak bullhead in buttermilk overnight and then smoke them.He didnt tell me how long or temp.This sound possible.Any help much appreciated.The back channel is starting to thaw so maybe get some in a couple weeks

I used to smoke fish but my wife made me get rid of my smoker after I burned my house down with it (true story).

Brining IS a key to a good product . I'll look around for my old recipes, but I am sure you can find info online. As I remember the brine was salt, water, and possibly some sugar.

A couple of tips..AFTER you remove the fish from the brine after soaking for a day or two, wash it well to remove as much salt as you can, and then dry it for a couple of hours in a well ventilated place until a shiny glaze develops on the outside. This glaze helps produce a more attractive and better tasting product after smoking.