Hi

frankieh

Whats going on; I signed up because I am trying to figure out if it is cheaper for me to buy a gun and kill a few deer for the year as opposed to buying my animals from farmers. If anyone could point a beginner in the direction to get started. I want to be able to go out and kill an animal with a very low budget. I am guessing I need to get a few different permits, a gun, some ammo, go out to a range, and then find out when/where I can actually hunt a deer. I am in NY metro area if that helps.

Thanks for any help

You need a gun , ammo , hunting clothes , license , hunter safety class , place to hunt , processing fees , vehicle to transport the animal , etc .. The 2nd year some of those costs would be eliminated .

I hunt several days during bow and gun season and had a couple bad years when I didn't fill tags . But , I got to enjoy the company of my sons while doing that and got to enjoy the outdoors . It depends on what your expectations are ..........

In my honest opinion, those who hunt has to enjoy hunting.  Especially for those of us who aren't fortunate to have hunting grounds right outside our backyard.

If you're hunting purely for meat but don't care for everything else about hunting then you're going to find that hunting is not for you.  When start from scratch, the initial startup cost (equipment, license fees, gas) and time commitment (to learn the craft and scout) is not small.  Purely from a financial stand point, it takes a while before you can have a return on your investment.

Most of us who make the long trek out of the city to hunt do so because we love hunting.  The meat we take home is only a bonus.

• Like 1