Deer call... grunts and bleats

Borngeechee

Howdy gentlemen. Made it to the site, put my intro up in the newbie section.

I would be more than hapoy to help answer any questions anyone has about using deer calls or custom calls in general.

I am just a regular member right now, and not a paid sponsor, so any questions about my personal calls such as ordering and the likes, please contact me privately. I do not want to be seen as a spammer of the site.

With that said, I will go back through this thread and try to answer some questions from my personal perspective.

Thanks to everyone who has invited me here and admin for having me along for the ride.

• Like 3

Fawn calls are effective throughout the season.

I actually prefer the "lil can" call over the larger one and super sized version. Can calls shouldn't be as drawn out as they are, and the lil can is shorter and mimics a younger doe, and flipping it is all you need to do. Much easier than trying to staccato the larger cans.

I agree, doe calls can be very effective on other does/fawns. There is a large portion of the year where slickheads want to be a part of a group. If thy can find other deer, they want to socialize with them.

I like a soft doe call during early bow season to catch the interest of a single slickhead in the area. It tends to suck them right in.

I remember reading some where that if you know how to call well it works great but if you don't know how to call then it actually makes things worst. The deer catches on and know something isn't right. Also, if you make the wrong call at the wrong time, it also alerts the deer. Sort of like screaming "Merry Christmas" in the middle of summer. I never had much luck so this I'm no expert on the matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soft volume tends to work best because of this issue of 'yelling'.

I like to either just throw a random soft grunt out there and shut up, or I tell a big story. The story I like to tell is this:

Expander tube in....buck 1. Expander thbe out....buck 2.

Buck 1 comes into the scene and throws a few grunts around. pause for 30 seconds. Buck 2 comes on the scene and throws some more agressive grunts. Scrape your antlers on a near tree limb. A little time passes. A fight ensues (rattling, scraping against the ground for foot stomps with some pauses as you go for 2ish minutes.). The larger buck lets out an aggressive grunt as the winner, and then a snort wheeze.

I do this calling sequence 2 times a sit between November 1 and the start of gun season here, which is usually around November 15. I tend to not gun hunt.

I should also add, I just make calls for fun in my spare time. I have no desire to be 'the next big thing'. I started making calls 12 1/2 years ago. I did it to hear the stories of being a little part of hunts all over. Not to try to be famous or quit my day job. The lathe is a place to go for relaxation now, just like my treestand or blind. My turn around time on any wood working is not fast, because I am only in my shoo when I am having fun. If I am not having fun, I go do something else.

• Like 1