Alcedo Micron

airedale

Back in the late sixties I purchased by mail order from Cabela's an all metal Alcedo Micron ultra light spinning reel, made in Italy the Alcedos were considered to be one of the very best fishing reels of the day. I used it for years and caught a ton of fish with that little guy. Alcedo reels on their side plate had little medallions glued on, added a bit of class and bling. Anyhow the medallion on my Micron came off and I misplaced it and never could find it, after losing the medallion I put the little Alcedo up and started using the new SS1 Seiko made Diawa ultra lights.

So the other day I was on ebay looking at the prices some of these old vintage fishing reels bring and found a vendor that sold Alcedo Medallions, I ordered one and it came today, cleaned up the 50 plus year old Micron still spooled with yellow Stren and glued on the new medallion. Works as good as ever and the reel looks good, I might just take it out catch a fish or two with it.

Al

2023-10-06_190450.png

• Like 3

12 hours ago, airedale said:

Back in the late sixties I purchased by mail order from Cabela's an all metal Alcedo Micron ultra light spinning reel, made in Italy the Alcedos were considered to be one of the very best fishing reels of the day. I used it for years and caught a ton of fish with that little guy. Alcedo reels on their side plate had little medallions glued on, added a bit of class and bling. Anyhow the medallion on my Micron came off and I misplaced it and never could find it, after losing the medallion I put the little Alcedo up and started using the new SS1 Seiko made Diawa ultra lights.

So the other day I was on ebay looking at the prices some of these old vintage fishing reels bring and found a vendor that sold Alcedo Medallions, I ordered one and it came today, cleaned up the 50 plus year old Micron still spooled with yellow Stren and glued on the new medallion. Works as good as ever and the reel looks good, I might just take it out catch a fish or two with it.

Al

2023-10-06_190450.png

That's a sweet looking reel! I love the old stuff too. Catching even the smallest fish, I think will feel extra special because of the connection to past memories. Just like taking a deer with a bow or firearm from our days past, or left to us by someone important to us. 

Hope you land a nice one! 

• Like 1

I have a mild interest in old collectable fishing equipment, some of the tackle, poles, lures and reels I used when I was a kid bring in big money these days. My Dad fished with a regular sized Alcedo Reel and when he and his cronies got talking about equipment I well remember the how highly prized the Alcedos were thought of back then. 

I used to subscribe to all the outdoor rags of the day and read an article about ultralight fishing and fishing equipment, it had me sold on giving it a try. Nowhere near the choices that we have today, almost everyone used a Mitchell, but I saved my money and went for the best that Cabela's had and am glad I did. Most of my fishing equipment is either light or ultralight tackle. Like I mentioned above I think the Diawa SS1 is made like a fine Swiss Watch and have three of those little buggers and actually wore one out.

A little history below from about 15 years ago on Alcedos, find one cheap at garage sale buy it!

Al

“The Alcedo Micron, an imported Italian spinning reel first brought to America around 1953, holds a place in fishing tackle history, as it was the first true ultra-light spinning reel. It was an expensive reel–selling for $35 in 1954–and extremely durable. It has developed a cult-like following. Even today, noted anglers like Joe Robinson and Dave Whitlock remove the bails from vintage Alcedo Microns and use them for what is sometimes called “extreme ultra-light” fishing, with 2 pound test line and 1/64-ounce lures. The Micron went through numerous permutations and the latest I can find it offered is 1974. They regularly sell for $125-$200 depending on model and condition.

Edited by airedale