DEC Hunting Zones?

donrtowery

I live in southern tier, but I'm really close to northern.  I was looking at some public hunting areas in the northern tier and I'm finding discrepancies in the way the DEC website defines the hunting zones. I used the Interactive Mapper and did a search for zone 6k, it outlined the zone in blue, but when I click on a WMA shown to be in 6k, the tooltip says its actually zone 7.  Did they move the zone lines around this year?

zone.png

I may be able to clear this up wildlife management unit and a DEC region are not the same. A management unit can be in more than one region. I hunt in unit 9P witch is in both regions 8 and 9 with most of the unit in region 9. So the unit that you want to hunt can be in both 6 and 7. One more thing you have to look at is when a unit like 9P is in more than one county you have to know what county your hunting in. 9P is in both Allegany and Livingston County and up till this year Allegany was rifle and Livingston was not. Where I hunt in 9P the road was the dividing line between the two counties one side of the road rifle one side not.