Handloading the 6.5X300 Weatherby Mag

airedale

From the time when I first saw this cartridge released a few years ago I was interested and the more I read about it the more I knew a rifle chambered in it was in my future. I have been collecting and studying loading data for several months so when the time came to take the plunge I was going to be prepared.

There are several powders that can be used in this cartridge getting decent performance, 6.5 Stabill HD, 4831, and Ramshot Magnum will work but Hodgdon US 869 is the go to powder for this way overbore case. It will develop almost 200 fps more across the board with most bullets over the other available powders

So the components have been trickling in this week, I have the well made Norma cases prepped and primed with CCI 250 large rifle mag primers. I will be using a fairly new bullet design from Sierra called the "GameKing Gamechanger" weighing 130 grs, the US 869 powder will push these babies to 3600 fps, "wicked fast" The powder will be here tomorrow so I can finish things up and hit the range.

Will report some results soon.

Al