Maine hunters and guides win.

bowtech2

A fence is a fence. If you search long enough in an enclosure you will find what's in there. Just because some guy in Maine has dogs doesn't mean it's 100% he will get a bear. He needs to find a bear track to start. I can go I a bear hunt and there's no guarantee that I will shoot a booner. However, I can go on a guaranteed 200" whitetail hunt. In fact, in some cases I believe you can pick the deer you want to shoot before you get to the enclosure for the canned hunt. I've never been on a bear hunt, but I bet guys on this site have either over bait or with dogs and came home empty handed.

Lastly, I don't find sitting in a treestand very sporting. I think it's way harder to walk or run miles behind dogs then to sit in a treestand and kill a whitetail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Point is that the hunter is doing the hunting..Not the dog. Just because they did not kill an animal does not mean the hunt was fair chase. You say if its legal its ok to do. Well thats fine and everybody has their own thoughts on what is fair chase but running dogs is the least fair chase hunting in my book. Like someone else says, this is just allowed so they can harvest animals and balance the population.

Point is that the hunter is doing the hunting..Not the dog. Just because they did not kill an animal does not mean the hunt was fair chase. You say if its legal its ok to do. Well thats fine and everybody has their own thoughts on what is fair chase but running dogs is the least fair chase hunting in my book. Like someone else says, this is just allowed so they can harvest animals and balance the population.

You're entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to completely disagree. "Hunting" within a fence and killing a 200" whitetail to me is no different than shooting a black angus cow on an enclosed piece of farmland. In my opinion someone chasing a bear with dogs 30 miles across the state is more "hunting" than the aforementioned canned whitetail hunt.  There is a chance the dogs and/or the hunter never catch that bear. I can't just go up to Maine and shoot a booner because I want to. There are many variables when hunting "wild animals". There are no variables when hunting within an enclosure except for time. If you take the time to cover every square inch of an enclosure you will surely kill the biggest animal in there.

We can go back and forth on this for years, neither of us will change opinions. Therefore, there is no point in continuing this conversation. You should spend some time updating your website, it might help with business.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

You're entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to completely disagree. "Hunting" within a fence and killing a 200" whitetail to me is no different than shooting a black angus cow on an enclosed piece of farmland. In my opinion someone chasing a bear with dogs 30 miles across the state is more "hunting" than the aforementioned canned whitetail hunt.  There is a chance the dogs and/or the hunter never catch that bear. I can't just go up to Maine and shoot a booner because I want to. There are many variables when hunting "wild animals". There are no variables when hunting within an enclosure except for time. If you take the time to cover every square inch of an enclosure you will surely kill the biggest animal in there.

We can go back and forth on this for years, neither of us will change opinions. Therefore, there is no point in continuing this conversation. You should spend some time updating your website, it might help with business.

LOL..Agreed and the folks that were doing the website were raping us and being one of the biggest in the state and a demand within our own state that i dont have enough animals to fill orders for i dont see the need to spend the money to have a site.

300 inch animals tend to get the word out in the..Biz-

I, myself, wouldn't hunt in the fenced in type of preserves, paying for hunts of a lifetime.  I don't begrudge them for anything cause they fill a need.  One of our members from the gun club went on a hunt within a closed-in hunt, and he said it was really awesome to see so many deer, quality of deer, types of hunts, etc. He said it was lnteresting, but more of a "once in a lifetime deal".  Fair chase? I dunno, hunting on 15,000 acres which are fenced in still gives you wide open feel.  I wouldn't do it, cause it would be too much like catchin trout at the Eldred preserve and pay by the pound.  I remember my father taking me and he quickly cut my line when he saw  I caught a huge trout, and said good fight, catch something smaller.  If given the opportunity in New York to hunt off a bait pile, How would I feel shooting one?  I dunno know, if I needed the meat and it meant getting one or not getting one, I guess it'd be okay.  But, when it's ingrained in you since you were a kid, you couldn't bait em, and have had success without it, sort of makes the demons come out of you.  "Throw the pumpkin out, they love it",  "It's only corn, it would have spoiled anyway", "What's one salt-lick and it looks like a rock anyway".  We all have to look inward and hopefully do the right thing.   As for Maine, been up that way, seen thousand upon thousand acres of land to hunt up there, my only thought was, "MAN, that would be one Hell of a Drag!" and whatever it takes for them to hunt, so be it, and it's good their way of life got another chance to continue.