Canning / Pickling

DirtTime

Two years ago, my g/f got the idea to start canning things from scratch. Jellies, homemade garlic pickles, hot peppers, and even brandied apples.

She does great on all of them. Except the first batch of pickles. Too salty. She fixed that as I told her cut the salt bu 80%. 

Anyways............

She wants to start doing things like pickled sausage.

Due to acid and so on, she wants to get a pressure canner. Anyone here have a good pressure canner they use but doesn't beak the bank?

Are you planning on canning the pickled sausage? I've pickled plenty of sausage and it just gets put in the vinegar brine after being fully cooked. There's more to it than just that but I've never canned it. All of the commercial stuff is just put in a brine and it lasts for a long time. As far as a pressure canner goes, it depends on what you consider "breaking the bank". The only choice in my eyes is the All American. Their biggest seller is the 21 quart which I own and love. You can buy them all day long on the internet for 200.00. Go to ebay and they have every size there is and you might get a deal. It's where I bought mine.

I have an All American and it works great. The pickled sausage can be handled in two ways. Cooked, packed in brine and stored in the refrigerator OR if you want to shelf store it, it MUST me pressure canned.  As a general rule high acid foods can be canned in a ho water bath. Non acidic foods are pressure canned. MEAT is always pressure canned.

• Like 1

She will be storing it. So the pressure canner is a must.

She's been looking at a few on the web, but doesn't want to spend too much only to find out she doesn't care for that type of canning things.

I will let her know about the All American, thanks Culver Creek.