Boyds stock

Thumbhole stocks aren't good for carry.  How many shotguns intended for wing shooting do you see with thumhole stocks?

If the gun will spend all of its time at sling arms or in a raised, ready to engage position, a thumhole stock will be fine. If you ever contemplate still hunting or perhaps following a blood trail with the weapon on the ready at port arms, not so much. Form follows function.

I like the George Patton analogy.

Edited by wildcat junkie

I guess I'll give it a whirl.. I'm not too familiar with the terminology but I'll watch some more videos and hopefully it's a decent match.

Try the action in the new stock. If it drops right in it will probably require glas bedding to maintain accuracy. The action must fit into the wood so that when the action screws are tightened down, there is no binding or stress placed on the action.

My guess & what you really want, is an action/stock fit that need some wood removal to allow the action to fit down into the wood for a precise, bind free fit.

Here is a short video that shows the basics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikHT5EtZGqU

The guide screws are the most important item to get things lined up properly. You can probably make some if you can get long bolts in the proper thread. Hopefully the threads will interchange with something more common like a Reminton M700 or Winchester M70. Savage M10/110 action guide bolts might be available.

Most of the work can probably be accomplished with the 1/4" chisel but a nice set of SHARP chisels from 1/8' to 1/2" will make life easier.

Link that wasposted below was edited out due to the fact that the stock was modified from a M11/110 stock to fit the 220.

Edited by wildcat junkie