HIP Harvest information for the previous season

WhitetailAddict11

Hey all, I'm just wondering what others thoughts are about the HIP harvest information that is asked when you call in every year before early goose. I'm not sure how they can assume they're getting any sort of accurate estimate of the number of birds shot the year prior when the highest option it asks is "did you shoot 10 or more" or whatever it says. I kept track of the number of geese we shot this year amongst our hunting group and we total'd out at 131 honkers. I'd say 75-80 of those birds were shot by just me and my buddy alone because most of our hunting group this year was new to waterfowling and wing shooting. My point being, when NY asks me how many birds I shot this year when I register next season, it's going to be completely inaccurate and I can't imagine it's helping biologists get a real sense of how what the bag limits should truly be, which IMO should be 4 birds a person during the regular season.

Edited by WhitetailAddict11

Hey all, I'm just wondering what others thoughts are about the HIP harvest information that is asked when you call in every year before early goose. I'm not sure how they can assume they're getting any sort of accurate estimate of the number of birds shot the year prior when the highest option it asks is "did you shoot 10 or more" or whatever it says. I kept track of the number of geese we shot this year amongst our hunting group and we total'd out at 131 honkers. I'd say 75-80 of those birds were shot by just me and my buddy alone because most of our hunting group this year was new to waterfowling and wing shooting. My point being, when NY asks me how many birds I shot this year when I register next season, it's going to be completely inaccurate and I can't imagine it's helping biologists get a real sense of how what the bag limits should truly be, which IMO should be 4 birds a person during the regular season.

Up here on the farm we were banging 50 a day in the early season also. They say local birds but we never see any decrease in flight patterns or numbers. We have 1000 birds on 700 acres of bean and corn fields and can only harvest 3 a day?  Crazy!

Yet they tell you to knock the snot out of the snows when there are just as many Canada's!

Up here on the farm we were banging 50 a day in the early season also. They say local birds but we never see any decrease in flight patterns or numbers. We have 1000 birds on 700 acres of bean and corn fields and can only harvest 3 a day? Crazy!

Yet they tell you to knock the snot out of the snows when there are just as many Canada's!

Talk about a tease!! It's almost not worth it during the regular season to set up all the decoys and blinds just to put it all back away after the first 3-4 groups which could take 45 mins

Talk about a tease!! It's almost not worth it during the regular season to set up all the decoys and blinds just to put it all back away after the first 3-4 groups which could take 45 mins

You got that right. Here we just get to the point of sitting the edge of a creek bottom that runs through the farm with 300ac of beans on one side and 300ac of corn on the other and just sky bust them.  Almost a waste of time. Young hunter have a blast and are amazed at the numbers of birds.