One caliber multiple rifles

I don't have two rifles in the same chambering, but the two that I use the most ( 7mm08 and .280 Rem) are very similar in performance. They both use the same 7mm bullets but with equal bullet weights the .280 has a slight edge in velocity due to a bigger powder capacity.

The 7mm08 is a Rem Mountain rifle. It is short action, light and very handy..Perfect for whitetails in the woods and capable of making 300 yard+ shots should I happen to get an opportunity at one.

The .280 is a Winchester model 70..It's a little bigger and heavier than the mountain rifle and I tend to use it more in open country where I anticipate longer shots..

Yet another great question.

Here is an example and a true one.  A guy I know loves the 270 Winchester.  He was an  impressionable youth in the days when Jack O'Conner was writing for Outdoor Life and Jack was singing the praises of the 270 Winchester.   He hand loads and he shoots a lot.  He has one 270 Remington  pump action carbine with a very low power scope (1-3X)  that he uses for woods hunting in places like the ADK's, NH and Maine.  Places where you have a heartbeat to pick up the deer and shoot.  

He has a second 270 in the exact same model topped with a Williams peep sight that he uses when tracking deer and hunting on days when it is likely there will be falling snow or freezing rain.  He would rather have a peep sight when it too miserable to reliably keep a scope snow- free and open, especially if he has to cover ground.  He feels the "see under" or "dual purpose" type mounts put the scope too high and he also likes the idea of having a back-up rifle that shoots the same ammunition should he have a problem with his scoped rifle.

He has a third 270 Winchester rifle that is a Browning Bolt action with a 2-8X power scope for hunting in open country in the east or out west for Mule deer and Antelope.

He loads 150 grain loads in his two wood rifles and 130 grain for the open country bolt action rifle where very long range shoots are a likely possibility. 

Edited by adkbuck
  • Like 1