Poughkeepsie City Council's Anti-Second Amendment Bill

Assemblyman Kieran Michael Lalor
For Immediate Release
April 16, 2015
Poughkeepsie City Council's Anti-Second Amendment Bill Would Limit Right to Self-Defense
Poughkeepsie, NY - (4/16/15) - Poughkeepsie Mayor John Tkazyik ®, Assemblyman Kieran Michael Lalor (R,C,I - East Fishkill), Poughkeepsie City Council Minority Leader Lee David Klein ® and the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association hosted a press conference exposing the Poughkeepsie City Council's anti-Second Amendment proposal today. The City Council's bill would create unnecessary and unconstitutional gun storage requirements that would significantly limit a homeowner's ability to defend against a criminal intruder.
"This the is typical feel-good, anti-gun legislation that does nothing to stop crime or get illegal guns off the streets," said Assemblyman Lalor. "This bill is driven by politics, not good policy. New York already has safe storage requirements and this bill goes further to require the gun be made inoperable. The Supreme Court, in Heller v. District of Columbia, has already ruled unconstitutional laws that require a firearm in a home be disassembled and unable to be used for self-defense. A New York court also declared this type of regulation unconstitutional in Colaiacovo v. Dormer. The City Council should drop it's political theater show if it's serious about stopping crime."
"The City Council's unconstitutional proposal isn't about stopping crime, its political pandering to the anti-Second Amendment crowd," said Mayor Tkazyik. "We have a Constitutional right to bear arms and that includes the defense of one’s home and family against an assailant. This ordinance makes self-defense impossible. It will increase crime as criminals learn that law-abiding homeowners are defenseless. The ordinance will also needlessly cost taxpayers when the city is forced to hire attorneys to defend a provision that the Supreme Court has already declared unconstitutional."
"The City Council is going to prevent homeowners from defending themselves and their families with this bill," said Jacob Reiper, New York State Rifle and Pistol Association Vice President of Legislative Affairs. "A homeowner needs to quickly access his firearm to prevent a tragedy when an intruder breaks in. The law will prevent residents from defending themselves. This kind of law has already been ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court. It is an infringement on Poughkeepsie residents' Second Amendment rights. Residents will be left less safe if this bill is passed."
"The anti-Second Amendment majority on the City Council is advancing a political agenda that doesn't make the City safer," said Poughkeepsie City Council Minority Leader Lee David Klein. "They're trying to score a few political points, while their policy makes families less safe and infringes on our Second Amendment rights. We should be pursuing policies that fight crime, not policies that leave residents vulnerable.
###
Assemblyman Kieran Michael Lalor, a former teacher at Our Lady of Lourdes in Poughkeepsie, is a Marine Corps veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom and a frequent guest on the Fox News Channel. Lalor is of counsel to the law firm Gaines, Novick, Ponzini, Cossu & Venditti. He is a graduate of John Jay High School, Providence College and Pace Law School and lives in Hopewell Jct. with his wife Mary Jo and their four young children Katie, Riley, Mikey and Kieran Jr..

Oh hey what's that? Oh that's the politicians knee jerking again....

These people kill me... What worse if the politicians must know its total bs. And are playing the fears of the sheep.

Well, the person who sent me this, Assemblyman Kieran Michael Lalor, is one of our good politicians. I prefer not to endorse nor disfavor politicians, however, part of the reason I posted this was to credit him and help him pass along his message. Lalor was one of only 25 lawmakers who made an informed vote about mute swans last June. He also is a likely sponsor or co-sponsor of the next NY mourning dove hunting bill. He voted against the safe act as well. 

Well, the person who sent me this, Assemblyman Kieran Michael Lalor, is one of our good politicians. I prefer not to endorse nor disfavor politicians, however, part of the reason I posted this was to credit him and help him pass along his message. Lalor was one of only 25 lawmakers who made an informed vote about mute swans last June. He also is a likely sponsor or co-sponsor of the next NY mourning dove hunting bill. He voted against the safe act as well.

Oh I'm not slammin Lalor.

The ones who try these shade legislations is another story.

Unforuneately it sometimes seems as though the good guy pool gets smaller each year.