RealWorld Wildlife Seed

SHort Answer  do not spray roundup until the weeds are taller than the corn (6-8 inches or so) and it looks like they are winning.  Then spray it once.  THat will knock down the weeds and by the time they recover the corn have will have closed the canopy and will be fine.  If you spray just once (and that's all you really need......you can put clover seed down in mid August and it will make a great attractant to the deer.  Any weeds left will just make the under story green and provide stuff for the wildlife (Turkey and other small game) to make the field a place to hang out in.

FYI RR Monsanto Max is 50+ % and you only need 24 ounces per acre.  Most generic stuff is 41% and you need 32 ounces...so figure out the price /acre cause sometime the trade name works out to be cheaper than the generic stuff.  I no longer use RR corn cause 1. its really expensive and .2 I can manually cultivate it saving the cost of the chemical. I have found that the deer kind of prefer open pollinated corn. (It does have a Slightly higher protein content)

I get mine from www.openpollinated.com.   Depending upon the variety a 50-60lb bag runs between $79-$100 a bag vs $250+ for 35 pounds of round up ready corn seed.   

These guys ( www.openpollinated.com ) are located Avoca,NY.4809.(North of Corning)  Thats close enough for me to drive to (110miles one way) and save on the shipping. Shipping would be  $40 a bag.I bought 3 bags  so I save the cost of the gas and had a nice ride on a Saturday Morning in early April.  So its a bargain.  They also have certified organic seed (slightly higher$$)   The best news about open pollinated corn is you can save the seed yourself and plant it next year whereas with RR corn it’s illegal to replant and it’s a hybrid.  That means the corn seed will not make much of a planting from any saved seed .  That way you have to buy new seed every year.

FYI  RRcorn is still round up ready corn even if you take it out of a deer's stomach.  Whether It germinates or not depends on how long it was in the deer’s stomach and what enzymes have gotten into the corn seed itself to prevent germination.