First Predator Night Hunt Of The Year

WNYBuckHunter

Last night afte work, my friend met me at my place and we headed out for a few sets. It was still just getting dark when we go to the first spot, so we sat down and turned on the Fox Pro. We sat and called for about 15 minutes, scanning with the spotlight, but no luck so we picked up and headed to the next area I had in mind. No luck there either. Next we hopped in the truck and headed over to a spot I found with a couple of fox dens close by and had been seeing lots of fox and coyote prints during deer season. After a few minutes of calling, we had a fox barking from the area where the dens were, but it wouldnt come out, so we changed the call to a rabbit in distress and immediately had a yote howl off to our west. Unfortunately, there is a wide, unfrozen creek between us and where the howl came from.  We sat for a bit and tried to get the fox to come out, but he never did, so we picked up and headed out. We were happy to get some kind of action, but were really hoping to get something to at least come in to the call. A couple of sets later, we got what we wanted. We were sitting in some trees on the edge of some cut corn that sat above a creek bottom with a wooded hill backing it up, looked like a perfect spot. After a couple of minutes, eyes appeared on the back side of the corn, just out of the woods. It was about 125 yards out, and just would not come any closer. I had the eyes in my scope, but could not make out just what it was. Then it started running up through the field, but still would not come in very close, I could see it was a yote and he was trying to get our wind, so when he was about 100 yards away, I was trying to find the crosshairs (my buddy's scope doesnt have illuminated reticules) and once I did, I got them on him and pulled the trigger. Somehow it went just over his back and he was gone. We looked for any sign of a hit, but there was none so we headed out. A few sets later and we were in a huge hay field sitting in front of some hay bales. After a couple of series of rabbit calls, eyes popped up over a knoll at 80 yards. I immediately saw it was a yote, but he kept moving behind hay bales that were spread through the field. He was also in one of the no shoot zones where I knew there were some barns about 1000 yards downrange and I didnt want to chance a shot. We were hoping for him to get past that area before he left, but he didnt. We did a few more sets after that and headed home. Even though we didnt get any fur on the ground, it was a great night. Its quite a rush to have those beady, glowing red eyes bounding in toward you in the dark with a creepy sounding distress call going!

Im gonna give some daytime calling a try on Friday, as I have the day off and will be home alone.  :)

Whenever we got after canines, we usually just stick to a couple sets first thing in the morning. Haven't really gotten into sets at night.

Outside of the caller, what shooting equipment are you using? Snow camo?

Quick thinking on the barns...most people would shoot and ask questions later.

I wear my Predator fall gray camo, but before I got that, it was an old leafy, light colored jacket and pants. The guns we use are either my Remington 700 with a Vortex Crossfire 4-28x50 scope or my buddy's Rockriver Arms AR15 with a Simmons scope on top. Both are 223. We mostly use his Fox Pro for a caller, but I also have a small e-caller that I use when Im by myself. We carry 2 Cyclops LED spotlights with red filters.

Each of us has phones that we can use Google maps with and GPS and get ariel photos of where we are, so we can tell where surrounding buildings are so as not to shoot in that direction. Better safe than sorry.

Sounds like  alot of fun.

I have gone out behind my house a few times at night with a rechargable spot light with a red lens.With some little cheezy electonic caller someone gave me.I had them out at about 200 yards howling before but couldn't bring them in any closer.I have my bow set up for shooting at night.Lighted sights and a red light on my stabilizer with pressure switch to turn it on.I know behind my house gunshots will just cause problems with neighbors at night.I am going to get a crossbow for this when they become legal in NY.