late rut activity

hang fyre

this past weekend a group of us last tagholders got together to do some drives.  4 guys in a truck were driving to get in position, they see 4 does standing on bordering property, so they stop the truck to check them out.  while they are watching a buck steps out from the woodline and steps up behind one of the does.  he mounts and breeds her - gets off - walks around for a minute. steps up behind the same doe - mounts and breeds her again.  Is this crazy or what?  Dec. 20 !!  These are stand up guys I trust.  wtf?   

No doubt,I had 4 bucks chase a fawn by me on letchworth last sunday..2 were shooters and 2 little guys...Of course thay were on the ridge next to me and a little far for the knight...They were freaking that little girl out i will tell you that...She had no idea what all the fuss was about...LOL

Just my opinion, but the rut is not a one-dimensional thing as it is so often described. There are three main rut peaks each season, but that doesn't mean that does are coming into estrus here and there...sporadically, all through the three main breeding months (October, November, and December) here in the Northeast and Midwest. That spotted fawn was probably a late-conceived fawn and hit the ground in late summer.

• 1 month later...