Comments On Region 4 Hunting Season

shenders

We have found that the deer are around all the time until the weather turns really bad, then they seem to leave for the winter to go down to more food.  I do not see the deer leaving every morning to walk down a mountain, just to walk back up at night.  I guess it depends on how far from you the food is.  In our case, that would be at least a 5 mile walk.

If you put in some decent plots they will be around, but like I said, they will hammer the hell out of them if there is nothing else around.

Isnt that where you need to be during hunting hours on the mountain and not in the fields,i believe all deer head up to bed but im sure if you put little secluded plots that would help too.

Its going to cost you a nice chunk unless you know how to operate a dozer and clear the land yourself,renting one alone for a weekend could run you around 2gees and operating one of those aint that easy especially when you got timber to deal with.

Does anybody know what an average cost to put in an acre food plot is.

Hey Shender,

The soil test, seed , lime, fertilizer are a minimal expense when compared to clearing the land, what will cost you the most is to clear and level your plot. You can go to Eklund (they are a Massey Fergussen Dealer) on route 23 in Stamford and either rent a dozer or rent the dozer and use on of thier guys to operate the dozer. I spoke with them recently and they get about 600-700 for 2 days (they get $500 for a one day rental so it pays to get the 2 day rental) on the dozer rental and you have to figure another few hundred for the driver. So to clear a one acre or less  would cost you about one grand. It would probably save you time if you first fell the trees that are where the plot is and then just get the dozer to take the stumps out and level everything. Now dont forget if you rent the dozer and you drive it and you wreck it you will be responsible. However if you rent the dozer with a driver they have thier own insurance and basically you have no worries. Note that the prices I indicated includes fuel and transport of dozer to your site, I think these prices should also hold true for you being your not that far from stamford. If you give them a call ask to speak with Billy, he is real nice and works with you. I was fortunate to have two fields when I bought my property and never had to get a dozer, however I called them last week and found out these prices as I might consider putting in another plot this spring? Also I think one acre maybe a little too big. I have a 1/2 acre of ladino clover plot that the deer can never ever eat down to the ground, as many deer that eat at that 1/2 acre plot I still need to cut it every 2 -3 weeks during the warmer months. I think you would do just fine with a 1/2 acre plot. Let me know how it works out.