Comments On Region 4 Hunting Season

shenders

I cant complain, my family has always done well in 4f. One of us usually score. This year was exceptional, I took a 3 ptr. with bow and an 8ptr. with rifle, my uncle took an 8 ptr. with rifle, my dad took a 3 ptr. with rifle and my friend took a doe with ML. In between we saw some other bucks and lots of does. My cousin on another property that was close by took an 8 ptr.

I have been hunting in 4F for the past 10 years and I have never experienced such a lousy season.  Don't get me wrong, I had a great time during the season but as far as deer go, it was total crap.

Only saw a handful in bow and a few small does in rifle.  The rut was real slow this year and never really seemed to happen.  I saw some chasing but it was very sporadic.  Could never get a read on what was going on, and when.

Always next year.

I agree with you that the rut never really seem to take off.  I spoke with a couple of friends of mine in other section and the seem to disagree. I saw more deer while bow hunting then I did rifle. But nothing like last year or the year before. I think in the next years to come I have to plant some food plots to attract more deer and hold them on my property.

Hunting 4G for 6 years and every year seems to get better, weve taken some nice bucks and the locals have taken some true monsters,and theres a B.C class buck that made  through another hunting season,hopefully he crosses my path next year!

I agree with you that the rut never really seem to take off.  I spoke with a couple of friends of mine in other section and the seem to disagree. I saw more deer while bow hunting then I did rifle. But nothing like last year or the year before. I think in the next years to come I have to plant some food plots to attract more deer and hold them on my property.

I have to disagree, in that its easy to discredit the rut if the deer are not rutting on your property. In my case the deer were rutting on my property and on that one magic day my uncle and dad an hour apart took two nice buck, one of which was a nice 8 pointer, however I will agree that the rut was very short lived and after that one magical day things seemed to slow down. However we did continue to see deer all the way through the ML season.

Shender, I think you are onto something  ;) ........the food plots are great in that they will attract deer and more importantly atleast for me they help the local deer herd going into the winter. The food plots will attract deer but more importantly they keep the females close by, well you know if you keep the does happy.....they will come (the horny bucks that is  :D ). More amazing about food plots is that you can expect to see deer even in the late season and ML season. Dont get me wrong if done correctly food plots can be a very hard task, but for me thay are very rewarding. Also in our area of 4F the main local crop is corn, so if you can plant both a clover plot and also a Brassica plot you will be able to provide lots of forage for deer after all the corn are harvested.

I agree the food plots are the way to go. I'm trying to figure a cost amount on having my property cleared and how much it materials. Plus having the time is a factor. I'm looking probably to clear maybe 1-2 acres and take it from there. This is going to be my spring project. I'm hoping the to reap the rewards like a nice buck or better yet just holding more deer on my property.

I hunt in 4Y.  There seems to be more and more deer every year.  There are tons of doe in the area.  There definitely needs to be some severe harvesting of does as the buck to doe ratio is insane.

I was fortunate enough to harvest an eight point, while my uncle snagged a broken up ten and a doe.  Still seeing plenty of doe an a few smaller bucks on the trail camera.

Overall, a good season and an even better bow season.  TONS of bucks.

Where in 4F do u hunt. I hunt in Davenport and even when i went to the local deer processor he didn't have any decent deer woth talking about.. Alot of spikes were taken he said.

Not far from you at all, I hunt in Harpersfield and also in East Worcester.

How was the East Worcester season?  Hear of any nice deer shot there?

The hunting here in 4r was slow.  I saw a couple nice bucks during bow. A few small spikes.  All I saw during reg season was does and other hunters.  Although on opening day I saw 3 juvenile otters playing from my ground blind.  I watched them for about 20 minutes or so.  That was really cool.  The rut never really took off it seemed.  And the high winds every weekend during both seasons didnt help.  Looking at a long winter.  I m gonna try ice fishing this year- never done it.

Where in 4F do u hunt. I hunt in Davenport and even when i went to the local deer processor he didn't have any decent deer woth talking about.. Alot of spikes were taken he said.

Not far from you at all, I hunt in Harpersfield and also in East Worcester.

How was the East Worcester season?  Hear of any nice deer shot there?

I really dont speak with much people locally,I spoke with one fellow that hunts a 1,000 acres of private land and they hunted that piece twice and came out with 2 does (atleast thats what he told me), I also spoke with a couple of locals that I know very well in Harpersfield that were having a hard time connecting with a buck. My family did fairly well on my property in East Worcester, we took 2 eight pointers, 2 three pointers and a doe. Attached is a picture of the eight I took.

post-18-131455395733_thumb.jpg

Nice eight pointer.  Harpersfield is right off of 23 just a little east of me. I pass every time I go up.

Thanks, he turned out to be a 4 1/2 yr. old buck (he was aged by the taxidermist and a game biologist). Yep Harpersfield is off of 23, right after Stamford heading west on 23 and before Davenport. Hello Neighbor.

That is a pretty old deer for that area. Usually if they make it pass two years that is an accomplishment.  By me everybody shoots whatever they see. That is the biggest problem we have. You can only do so much.

I would have to agree with you in that most in our area are primarily meat hunters and then scattered about there are the few that will let younger bucks pass. I'm also seeing that some hunters now a days in our area are either researching food plots or have put in food plots. But yeah the majority are meat hunters first.

I am looking to put a food plot in but I 'm researching the cost of it. I know it's not cheap but the benefits are worth it. The only problem I can see is that my neighbors are going to benefit as well.  That means smaller deer are going to be harvested instead of letting them walk.

I am looking to put a food plot in but I 'm researching the cost of it. I know it's not cheap but the benefits are worth it. The only problem I can see is that my neighbors are going to benefit as well.  That means smaller deer are going to be harvested instead of letting them walk.

We have the same issue with the neighbors shooting anything brown around our property in East Worcester as well.  We let the small guys walk, and with some small food plots in, hope they get bigger.  The nieghbors may benefit, but so will you hopefully. 

The hardest part of the food plots is the initial breaking ground and planting.  After that, its just maintaining it with lime and fertilizer.  I found the Whitetail Insitute Extreme grows well in the area.  Depending on where it is in relation to other food for the deer and how big your plot is, the deer will eat it up fast so I put in a bunch of small ones all over our property.

The thing is I am on top of a mountain. The very top. All the other food sources are at the bottom. My trail cameras only pick up deer say around 12-1 am. So they are not hanging around till morning or even early dusk. So I am trying to change there habits on when they come and go. The food plot is the best way to do that. Now the other thing is the cost of having the plot done. That is the big question.

The thing is I am on top of a mountain. The very top. All the other food sources are at the bottom. My trail cameras only pick up deer say around 12-1 am. So they are not hanging around till morning or even early dusk. So I am trying to change there habits on when they come and go. The food plot is the best way to do that. Now the other thing is the cost of having the plot done. That is the big question.

I feel your pain....I am up a mountian too.  All the corn is down near town.  Nothing at all up by me.