20 inch .270 Win

pitweiler

One thing nobody seems to consider when discussing shorter barrels is long range shooting.

If you are shooting at deer 100 yards or more most of the time, whippy rifles are a handicap.  The shorter, lighter rifles are harder to shoot accurately at longer ranges.

If you'll be using it at short ranges in thick woods most of the time, the handy factor is a plus.  But if your shooting across bean fields, the velocity loss isn't the main concern.

One thing nobody seems to consider when discussing shorter barrels is long range shooting.

If you are shooting at deer 100 yards or more most of the time, whippy rifles are a handicap. The shorter, lighter rifles are harder to shoot accurately at longer ranges.

If you'll be using it at short ranges in thick woods most of the time, the handy factor is a plus. But if your shooting across bean fields, the velocity loss isn't the main concern.

I have to disagree a short heavy barrel is the most consistent barrel. I can adjust for velocities but when shooting precision long range I want consistency.

• Like 1

I was referring to handling qualities in the field. Bench rest shooting short barrels is one thing. Try doing it from a standing, kneeling, sitting or even prone position in the field and you will find it's hard to hold that reticle steady.

Do you do a lot of long range standing shooting at animals? Or kneeling for that matter? And in the prone with proper position you have bone support and weight make no difference.

Do you do a lot of long range standing shooting at animals? Or kneeling for that matter? And in the prone with proper position you have bone support and weight make no difference.

I do a lot of long range shooting.  Some shots don't offer much time.  Prone is always preferred, but not often possible.  Sitting is the 2nd choice, then kneeling, then standing.

The position you shoot from matters little regarding this point.  No matter the field position used, the shorter lighter rifle is a handicap compared to a heavier, longer rifle, with the exception of short range running game shots.  It's simply a matter of physics.

Yes the shorter lighter rifle has it's place in the field.  When carrying it long distance, up hills and in thick woods, it's much handier.  I won't argue with that.  But a rifle is simply a tool, and you pick the right tool for the job.

• Like 1