30/40 Krag Still Brings Home the Bacon After 116 Years

The fact that the buck was able to get up after such a long time on the ground exemplifies the problem with factory 30/40 Krag loads. The bullets used are designed for much higher Mv & at the modest impact velocities of the Krag they over penetrate & waste much of the energy on the woods beyond the target.

The Krag has plenty of energy, but it is better utilized on deer sized game with a more rapidly expanding bullet.

My son got a marginal hit on a spike buck this year, yet the Hornady 30395 FTX bullet did an excellent job leaving a billiard ball size exit wound low in the brisket several inches behind the shoulder. The deer only went about 50 yds before piling up. I doubt that we would have recovered that buck if he had been using factory ammo.

One more thing. The Pacific peep sights are designed for the much longer sight radius of the 30" Krag barrel. On shorter barrels they will shoot high with a front sight that is similar in height to the original. His 1st shot clipped some hair off the bucks back, the 2nd hit it high in the rib cage, just under the spine. I have watched the video several times pausing it at the shots.

I had to modify my Pacific K-2 so I would adjust a little lower. Even then, it hits 3" high at 100 yds with my hand-loads which is about perfect. It hits 1' high at 50.

Edited by wildcat junkie