What's your opinion?

I am not sure, but there may be other laws against wanton waste on the books. In other states there definitely are ww laws than are farther reaching than migratory game birds. You might want to know that migratory game birds are not just ducks, geese, and swans. They are also mourning doves, rails, coots, snipe, and woodcock. Double check on crows - I am not sure, there has been too much discussion on the subject, and since I don't hunt them, I have not paid attention. Note according to the law I posted it  DOES include crows. The federal migratory bird law regarding wanton waste is similar, except it includes other species that are not hunted in NY such as swans, mourning doves, sand hill cranes, and a few others. If accused  of wanton waste of migratory game birds, you will be charged with two violations - of state law, and of federal law. 

Here is a general article about the topic, scroll down  to it if necessary:

http://www.huntthenorth.com/wantonwaste.html

Edited by mike rossi

I have a big problem with people killing & wasting game, that's traditionally used as food.

Where that line is tho, is a personal choice. I mean, technically, we could eat coyotes if we for some deranged reason chose to.

I kill lots of red squirrels, because I know they harass the greys, & I've been told they'll go into a grey nest & kill the young. I cut the tails off the reds, & leave the rest. Grey squirrel is my favorite game to eat, so I guess it's just a selfish thing I do, to ensure more greys being around.

I have a tough time shooting woodchucks, because I don't eat them. I know they cause a lot of damage, but I don't like to kill them. I do shoot them sometimes, but it makes me uncomfortable. A little sad even.

Predators I kill at every chance. Except, there was this coon that I trapped who I let go. She kept getting into the bird feeder, so I trapped her in a havahart. A lot of them hiss and snarl, trying to bite you if you get close. Not this one. When I grabbed the trap to pick it up, I accidentally put my hand where she could get to it. All she did was reach through the cage & grasp me by the thumb. She just held on firmly, & stared into my eyes. We had a moment, I guess :secret:. My heart melted, so I opened the door, & she slowly walked out, looked up at me & waddled back into the forest.

I'll never shoot another crow. I have a lot of respect for how smart they are & they're pretty cool to watch.

In general, I try to not kill if it I won't eat it, or if it's not causing trouble.

I have same thinking,, I have shot wood Chuck, but feel bad about leaving them... We did try to eat one, it was OK... I don't shoot them anymore, I feel the same about shooting other game, but knowing I do eat them, I am able to take a life, but just what we need..

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1