6 degrees

backstrapper

Last weekend it was 6 degrees in the stand and it looks like it will be 6 again this Saturday, thanksfully Sunay should be a balmy 29.  There's something cool about fighting the elements with a bow.  FYI it's winter bow in NJ.

Do you have any issues with equipment malfuntions when it gets that cold, ie. carbon arrows, bow?

DO toes, back, and runny noses count as equipment?  ;D  SO far I haven't yet! (knocking on wood)

I have heard many stories of guys not being able to pull their bows back in severe cold.  I'm 6ft'2 230 LBS and my bow is only at 63 lbs so I don't have any issues in the cold, yet.

Depends on the zone. For winter bow the two I am hunting both start on Jan 1 , one ends on Feb 12 the other Feb 19, One buck unlimited doe, 3 point rule in effect.  In the Fall they both start around the 2nd week of Sept. have to take antlerless before buck and it's unlimited doe.  Worth the $135.  On espot is 10 minutes from my mother in laws the other is about 50 minutes from my mothers. 

Depends on the zone. For winter bow the two I am hunting both start on Jan 1 , one ends on Feb 12 the other Feb 19, One buck unlimited doe, 3 point rule in effect.

Wow- buck hunting that far into February....would think a lot of shed bucks are accidently harvested under the unlimited doe category.

Trying to understand what good a 3pt rule would do at that point of the season though. Just sayin. Good luck.

"would think a lot of shed bucks are accidently harvested under the unlimited doe category."

Not as many guys out there in the single didgits as you would think, only us obsessed wackos  ;D  and these deer are insanely spooked after 5 months of being hunted. 

I can't speak for other hunters but with a bow at 20-30 yards we're pretty good at seeing where newly falling racks were and if we see an exceptioanlly large bodied deer with no rack we let them walk.  On the other hand they have an huge herd, hence the unlimited doe, so I guess a few accidently taken during the Jan/Feb season hasn't really affected the verpopulated suburban herd.  I let a 5 and basket 8 walk this weekend.  I am only hunting a nice buck and mature does at this point

Depends on the zone. For winter bow the two I am hunting both start on Jan 1 , one ends on Feb 12 the other Feb 19, One buck unlimited doe, 3 point rule in effect.  In the Fall they both start around the 2nd week of Sept. have to take antlerless before buck and it's unlimited doe.  Worth the $135.  On espot is 10 minutes from my mother in laws the other is about 50 minutes from my mothers.

thats some long season huh lol

good luck to you