NY Xbow Max Poundage

Vince1

Had some issues with my excalibur Axiom and took a ride down to PA to have it fixed. 

While there i wanted to pull the trigger on a new excal love that they are more compact and wanted a new toy. But what stopped me was the 200 pound limit on xbows. I just cant justify replacing my axiom for only a 5 foot per second increase i would gain from the current 200 pound xbow they have. 

I was looking at some of the newer compound xbows that are out and handled a few of those and i guess i am just not a compound guy. I mean i LOVE my recurve but rarely shoot my compound vert bow had the sight screw up on me mid hunt this past year as some bushes got caught in it and bent my pins bent it back and prayed. took a shot on a dear that was way low that day.

got my wife a compound xbow and though i do love it for me i just cant see myself hunting with it cant get over the idea that its a machine that will screw up.  which is why i think i LOVE the simplicity of anything recurve.

So here i am lookin for a new bow and i just cant understand why NY has a 200 pound limit on recurve xbows, very limiting. 

wouldnt it make more sense to put a limit on the top speed with say a 400 grain arrow? say, we dont want anything going any faster than 450 fps or something. that to me makes way more sense. 

hopefully it changes cause i would love to get a new xbow but i guess i have to look for a new recurve instead. course thats a whole nother problem

200 pounds is a lot. Always some dame rule !

not every state has a rule for poundage. 

and a 200 pound recurve is WAY underpowered compared to a good 200 pound compound xbow

barnett ghost is doing 410 fps with 185 pounds

Excal 405 is doing  405 fps with 290 pounds, which is crazy

I have the Excal Matrix 310. It's got a 200# draw. I don't feel undergunned. I agree with you 100% on the recurve being the better design. I've heard nothing but problems about Barnett, from a couple dealers I know. Don't buy something you don't want, & it sounds like you don't want a compound crossbow.

Edited by Skillet

I have the Excal Matrix 310. It's got a 200# draw. I don't feel undergunned. I agree with you 100% on the recurve being the better design. I've heard nothing but problems about Barnett, from a couple dealers I know. Don't buy something you don't want, & it sounds like you don't want a compound crossbow.

Actually have a barnett recruit cause the axiom was to much for my wife and their cs is great at boh excal and barnett.

But after issues minor issues with both excal won me over.

Though hunting in new york i realize the newer excals are out of my reach. Guess i will just keep my cash in my pocket and see if it changes.

Was tempted to buy the excal bulldog. This at least keps the wife from yelling about a new toy.

• Like 1