Night Hunting

Elmo

How much of a significance would it be to use a spotlight with a red filter versus a spotlight without one?  For raccoons and then for coyotes?  Without hounds for either of them.  As in, if I don't have a red filter should I just sit at home because I would be wasting my time?

In a way yes. There is a light out their that has a 2 filters and you can use just the white light. Go to barkatthemoon.com  coyote club and you will see it. You need to also watch your smell of your body and your clothes. once you get it down, hunting is a blast.

I was really looking for raccoons at the moment but will shoot a coyote if I come across one during my next trip out.  I've only been hunting for 2 and a hlaf months but it seems I picking things up real quick.

The lights I have with red filters aren't very bright and the spot light I have doesn't have a red filter.  I was hoping to cut it without have to purchase more equipment.  I think after a successful night hunt I think I'll be ready for the coyotes.

So I went out last night looking for raccoons and if I came across a coyote, that too.  With 4 degree temps, ice covered snow, and a jerry-rigged maglite, I discovered the hard way that night hunting is not that simple.  I normally hike up the side of this mountain during my regular day hunts but under these conditions, I was getting my butt kicked.  I had to stop twice to rest.  I'm not the most fit person in the world but I hit the gym twice a week and always finish it off with a 4 mile run.  Of course with all the noise I was making, we didn't see anything at all.  Must rethink the strategy.  This didn't work at all.

I was out some this weekend and walking any real distance in 2 feet of crusty snow is tough. No, night hunting is not easy. Predator hunting is not exactly easy, really. I wouldnt bother with a Mag light though. It will get you to catch the reflection from their eyes, but you need something more powerful so that you can see what you are shooting at. Especially if you are new to the game. A deer's eyes glow very similarly to a coyote or fox's and things can get deceiving at night. You dont want to be taking shots at deer out of season and at night lol. Not to mentions someone's dog thats out running around.