Roe/eggs

Dom

They are my favorite part.  When we were kids, me and my brother use to fight over them whenever our mom cooked one up that ended up having roe.  We would try to get to the dinner table before the other and snatch them all up.

I  have eaten perch roe...Dust the skeins in flour, salt and pepper and sautee  in butter over medium  heat until golden brown.  If  you  turn the heat up too much, they will explode.  They are really quite good, with sort of a "nutty" flavor.

I have had shad roe in restaurants a couple of times.  It is OK, but there are many fish/seafood dishes that I would rather spend my money on. 

I once worked with a woman who was an immigrant from Romania.  She made caviar out of some local trout or salmon roe, I can't remember which.

I didn't care for it.  It tasted like raw, fishy, super salty fish eggs, which is not surprising because that is exactly what it was.

• Like 1

Years ago a group of locals used to snag fish through the ice on our local river.

It was a group activity. They would cut a line of holes in the ice across the river and guys would kneel on the ice with snagging poles that looked kind of like modified garden rakes,

The a line "drivers" would work up or down the river pounding on the ice and driving the fish toward the snaggers. They took mainly carp and suckers, although I suspect an occasional bass or walleye got " accidently" snagged and was quickly hidden in the brush.

One of the old guys who did this on a regular basis used to take all of the carp eggs, and he ate them.

The old gent is still alive, although older than dirt. Next time I see him I'll ask him how he prepared his carp roe.