Progressive "Computer" Lenses for Open sights

Jaeger

Quick info for those of us with less than youthful eyes.  My sight is horrible.

I recently acquired a lever gun with open sights and in playing around with it I discovered I could see the front and rear sight pretty clearly with my "Computer Glasses".

My computer glasses are glasses that have progressive lenses but, unlike regular progressive lens glasses, have most of the intermediate vision area, the 12"-2' range, taking up a larger portion of the center of the lenses.

Regular progressives have distance vision at the top, intermediate in the middle and close at the bottom (that's why it is sometime hard to get used to stairs, we're looking down through the close vision part of the lens).  Typically, the intermediate portion of the lens is about 1/3 of the lens, same as distance and close.

In computer glasses, the intermediate vision part of the lens occupies a much larger portion of the lens, at least half the lens.

Just by chance, I found I can see the open sights, still see distance and close up as well with these glasses.  Actually, the distance and intermediate seem about the same and I can see the target, the front sight and pretty well the rear sight.

Just FYI

P.S., I do not get the same results with my progressive contacts, can't see the rear sight at all.

• Like 3

I experienced the same thing with my bow sight. I was ready to hang it up because the sight was just impossible for me to use, but last year I purchased progressive lenses and was really happy how well I could once again see the peep, the pin and the target. I do have to wear an eyeglass strap to pull the glasses tight when shooting the bow, otherwise I can't align the "sweet spot" in the lens when fully drawn, if the glasses move just a fraction of an inch it just doesn't work.