Thoughts on the value of a sanctuary...

With all the neighbors having the swamps and the big pine plantings...I let them go in and disturb the deer and watch them run to us...and the doe bed on us...during the bow season the buck show up hunting doe on us...some of the neighbors santuraries are forced..... due to the location of our home and two differant live stock housings....they can't shoot with in 500ft of any...Our place was built way in the woods by the first owner........because of the pasture being one of two open areas on the land it's along a property line ...so the barn is as well...the other is way farther back in the woods due to the noise bothering me...... and the dogs barking at the deer that bed near their kennel bothering production...this way I get to work on and enjoy most of my property year round

I really think this is more important than food plots, or passing sm bucks. If you leave a sanctuary alone and its big enough,thick enough the deer will find it and stay there!! If you pass small bucks and drive the property you hunt the deer will leave and find a quiet place to lay. The same is true for bigger buck they don't want to be disturbed .....if you have the only quiet/thick place you most likely will have the big buck!

I don't actually find that here...the deer move off others sanctuaries to our place in the fall...ie example...these pics were taken off our front porch...the dogs kennel is 50 ft to my left...which is where the deer bed down near at night...we've had to line the 22 x 20 ft kennel with tarp to keep the barking down

Well i would say you have the better sanctuary or that the neighbors really isn't a sanctuary, thats pretty common deer can figure out prety quick if the dog is kenneled or tied up, thats what so many "new" hunters get big deer go where no one else will, next to barns, old trailers,in old barns buildings. Point is the deer will find a quite undisturbed area to stay in(even right next to busy railroad tracks or highway as long as they aren't pushed out of their bed(ground traffic,atv's riding thru,still hunters) the noise(barking,passing cars/trains) doesn't bother them. A true sanctuary must be undisturbed well before/during and after the season or better yet all year!