The challenge

YFKI1983

1 hour ago, YFKI1983 said:

Think I've shared this before. Everytime I see it it makes me wish I started with stick and string. Don't think I could do it now as I'm hardly an expert with compound. One day though..I'm sure it changes the game a lot

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Agreed, one day. Nothing but respect for those that do it!

• Like 1

I hunt from the same exact stands as compound but they are mostly between 13-16ft.  Not real high.  The furthest I have killed a deer with the recurve was 27yds but that was from the ground. Killed one a couple of weeks ago at 24yds from a stand. I prefer 25 and under with the recurve, but can shoot decent to 40.   A bad shot at 40 could be way off though.  I am good to at least 40 under any circumstances with a compound.  

In the end, I love a barebow recurve, but they require tons of practice, tend to be louder, much less maneuverable, shorter range and less certainty.  That said, a perfect shot with one makes you feel sooo good.  If the only goal is to kill deer, there are better choices.  If the goal is to have fun and be challenged, it's tough to beat. Pretty much save the compound now for rain or if I know I am sitting a stand where most likely shots are 30yds or longer.  

Give it a go.  It just takes patience and lots of practice. Oh and a willingness to give more of the edge to the deer.

• Like 2

I hunt from the same exact stands as compound but they are mostly between 13-16ft.  Not real high.  The furthest I have killed a deer with the recurve was 27yds but that was from the ground. Killed one a couple of weeks ago at 24yds from a stand. I prefer 25 and under with the recurve, but can shoot decent to 40.   A bad shot at 40 could be way off though.  I am good to at least 40 under any circumstances with a compound.  
In the end, I love a barebow recurve, but they require tons of practice, tend to be louder, much less maneuverable, shorter range and less certainty.  That said, a perfect shot with one makes you feel sooo good.  If the only goal is to kill deer, there are better choices.  If the goal is to have fun and be challenged, it's tough to beat. Pretty much save the compound now for rain or if I know I am sitting a stand where most likely shots are 30yds or longer.  
Give it a go.  It just takes patience and lots of practice. Oh and a willingness to give more of the edge to the deer.

Someday....was your deer in harvest thread?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Awsome and congrats on the deer. That's a heck of a feat. Hopefully someday I can get into it.

Careful what you wish for.  Lol It's an addiction and big commitment to become proficient.  But anyone with the time and desire can get it done.  No special skills required - that I can assure you.  

• Like 1

Careful what you wish for.  Lol It's an addiction and big commitment to become proficient.  But anyone with the time and desire can get it done.  No special skills required - that I can assure you.  

Just what I need...another outdoor related addiction...I tell some of the guys I help trap the same thing lol

6 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Just what I need...another outdoor related addiction...I tell some of the guys I help trap the same thing lol

You trap guys?   I know a few women like that but would never have suspected that of you Stone.  

• Like 2