CCI #350 Mag Primers

WingNut

I am fairly new to reloading, only starting last year with reloads for my 357 Mag and 41 Mag.

I am having an unusually high number of misfires with my 41 Mag's (say 1 in 8 average).  I'm using CCI #350 primers, 20 gr Winchester  296 powder, Weapon is a TC Contender.  The primer has seemingly perfect dimple after the misfire.  The misfire will go off the second time, however I'm very cautious and slightly unnerved. 

Any suggestions or experience with this?

Depending on the manufacturer magnum primers can be slightly harder and will usually require a good hard strike to ignite them. My best guess without seeing your gun and cases is you are getting too light of a strike from your hammer with those CCI primers and why they fire on a second strike. A switch to another brand will probably solve the problem, another option if you are determined to stick with CCI is to put a heavier hammer spring in your gun to increase striking power.

Al

Edited by airedale

2 hours ago, WingNut said:

I am fairly new to reloading, only starting last year with reloads for my 357 Mag and 41 Mag.

I am having an unusually high number of misfires with my 41 Mag's (say 1 in 8 average).  I'm using CCI #350 primers, 20 gr Winchester  296 powder, Weapon is a TC Contender.  The primer has seemingly perfect dimple after the misfire.  The misfire will go off the second time, however I'm very cautious and slightly unnerved. 

Any suggestions or experience with this?

How old is the gun? any idea how much use it has had? I know for the Contenders and the Encores there are firing pin upgrades available and they are VERY easy to change. usually cures the problem quickly. Google---- Bellm

On 11/17/2016 at 9:35 AM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

How old is the gun? any idea how much use it has had? I know for the Contenders and the Encores there are firing pin upgrades available and they are VERY easy to change. usually cures the problem quickly. Google---- Bellm

I don't know the actual age, but its a first generation contender.  I read on Bellm's site the the hammer spring is a common issue.  So thanks to both of you for the help.

• 2 years later...

Could also be a few of your primer aren't seated all the way in the pocket and when the firing pin hits it causing the primer to move deeper and cushioning the strike, after that the primer looks seated and has a FP dimple. Check your unfired rounds with a straight edge or place them on a hard surface and see if they wobble.

I had a similar problem years ago with my Contender in .35 Rem. and that was easily fixed by changing to pistol primers instead of rifle primers.