Too many hunting accidents this year

chas0218

My archery class also included a morning session at a local horse farm where a blood tracking exercise was held, Of course we adults in the group let the kids present track the blood trail while we aimlessly followed behind and we were more then happy to let them find the stuffed deer. Hey, the class was held early on a Saturday morning and they offered no breakfast.  

Up I understand your trying to make a joke.... But the sad truth is very few of these shootings are brought on by young hunters. With in our group as one of our kids start to hunt everyone is very aware of where this youngster is and what hes doing, same cant be said of the partner youve hunted with for 20 yrs. The other problem as we get further away from our hunter safety courses is bad habit set in, simple things like leaning a loaded gun against a tree to grab a water from the truck, or not controlling a gun while falling or just taking too much for granted when pulling up ona deer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My daughter's class had the optional shooting after class.  Of course she yes when they said you can go out and shoot a few targets while they were grading.  She is petite and small for her age. She watched a guy shoot the 12 gauge magnum and the kick back from it.  Then she was not sure about shooting.  Told her start with the 22 and then try the 410.  They will not kick like that.  She took her time and never missed - a great confidence boost for her with 20-25 people watching (instructors and students combined).
Another nice thing about a class with a shooting option, you get the feel of using different firearms (brands, type [single/semi-auto/pump], stocks, sights) to see if one of them is something you want to buy without paying for any range and cleaning fees, and having someone who is experienced with that particular one for any pointers on it.
45 minute drive one-way for a few week-nights plus a Saturday.  Those were longs days for me - work all day, drive home just to pick her up, and come back home at 9:30/9:45 PM.  The smile on her face hitting those targets was great.
Now, if she would get up early on the weekend to get out there.

Aaa yea... when my oldest took his the instructor supplied the shot guns.... So my son who had shot some trap with me using an h&r , was handed a Bennelli youth... in a semi auto.... needless to say he was very dissapointed at Christmas when santa brought him a mossberg pump.....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk