NYC Water Supply Lands?

jmark

Hi Folks,

I've been trying to get some reliable info on hunting on the NYC Water Supply Lands.  I have an Access Permit, and the NYCDEP lists quite a few areas where hunting is allowed.  I called them, and the guy who answered the phone seemed horrified that "hunting" (heaven forbid!) could happen on NYC properties.  No help.  Tried the DEC, they referred me to the NYCDEP.  Called a couple of town offices, nice people but not real info.  

And for those who have the scoops - no worries, I don't plan to bring a busload of people every weekend.  Just me and my kid once in a while to chase squirrels for a few hours.  

Thanks for any help.  

jmark

Thanks, bkln.  I had read those, trying to get a little more specific info.  Mainly re Orange and Putnam Counties, possibly Sullivan or Ulster.  We were up in Sterling a couple weeks ago.  The squirrels must have put out a memo we were coming, they all hid from us.  Just wanted to try to get some local scoops or experience before parking on the side of the road and heading in with rifles.  

And yep, all too well aware of the Westchester rules.  I live in the dreadful place.

jmark

I swear those squirrels know when they are in season.  See them everywhere Spring and Summer.

The seem to come out once they figure out you are deer hunting during gun season,  If you switch back to looking for squirrel they seem to disappear.

Perhaps look into Huckleberry Ridge by Port Jervis.

Stewart is another place to go, but shotgun only.

I haven't been to any of the NYC Water Supply Lands, so no advice on that.

There is always the Catskills, and Wurtsboro Ridge State Forest in Sullivan county.

• 2 weeks later...

Get there early and be patient, the squirrels are there, look down more than up.   Many people walk past winter squirrels, they can hear you and see you much easier, and most folks are not looking on the ground.    I do better in trasitional areas rather than right in the middle of big oak stands.  The oaks are their home, but may be in the bushy area if they cant find acorns.  Same goes for evergreens.  Sit at a base of a tree and wait.  Learn how to make a cutting call with 2 pennnies.  It helps.  If its real cold, then then come out a touch later.  more like 9 am rather than 7am.   If you got 2 willing hunters, you can drive them from ridge to ridge, or circle a tree to get a shot.

I'd keep going up to the waasaic or the taconic hereford area in dutchess county.   DEP can be a busy place, but not too bad after deer is done.  You're going to have to work for squirrels in public places. 

Thing could change over the years, and I no longer live in the NYC area.  I'm already in the hunting land now.

Use the maps and check google maps overhead views to compare.   Dont think youre alone in them woods though.  People will pop up, DEP police and DEC officers pop up there often, so keep your tags handy.