pond algae

I have two ponds with the same springs feeding both.

The smaller one (by 2/3) is more shaded than the larger. Both hold large bass (three in the smaller and eleven in the larger), smaller fish, frogs and almost no water plants.

Last August, the larger developed an algae bloom so thick you couldn't see more than six inches into the water. It lasted about three weeks. Not sure what type of algae. Not scummy but suspended in the water.

Any advice on how to stave this off this year? Or who can identify the type of algae?

Thanks.

Barley straw for a natural way..doesn't kill but stems growth so now is the time...you need to research just how much to use for pond size..too much and the break down can reduce oxygen and kill fish... just measure place in an onion type bag, 50# size tie up and weigh it down by tying a rope around a rock(one rope won't slip off) and shot line to bag

Thanks. Will research. It's a small pond - 20x30 - so I doubt I'll need that much. Is barely straw a common item? Feed store? I buy a few bales of straw for my humanure compost bins, but can't say I know the composition. 

Have you used this? Is it a new application each year?