Shorebird ID?

wooly

18 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Did it bob it's head at all ?

Yes it did.

It would fly up and land a short distance away.

First thought it was trying to lead me away from a nest, but it just continued on catching worms.

It's a lesser yellowlegs.....They winter in South America and nest in the arctic, so we only see them passing through...They often travel in flocks with greater yellowlegs...The species are very similar except the greater has a longer bill and longer legs...The lesser are about 2/3 the size of the greater.  Other than that, I don't know a thing about them...<<smile>>....

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

It's a lesser yellowlegs.....They winter in South America and nest in the arctic, so we only see them passing through...They often travel in flocks with greater yellowlegs...The species are very similar except the greater has a longer bill and longer legs...The lesser are about 2/3 the size of the greater.  Other than that, I don't know a thing about them...<<smile>>....

Looks like a match!

Thanks Pygmy..... another first for me seeing this.

I first noticed them last spring while gobbler hunting in Ontario...They drove me nuts for a couple of days before I ID'd them...

I saw them again this spring up there...The ones I saw were mostly the greaters with  a few of the lesser mixed in.

• Like 1