Ohio <Late-season> Statewide Muzzleloader?

Some friends have a large lease in south central Ohio and they invited me to hunt with them in the late ML season in Jan. 2011. The farmer was complaining that there were too many does and asked that we cull some of them. I guess they did alot of damage to his soy beans the prior summer. Five hunters and we took 12 does. We all could have taken bucks in the 120" range but my buddies are trying to grow them larger for next season. One of the guys took a 176" buck during the early ML season, WHAT A BRUTE.

All I had to do was go to the local sports store and buy my license and tags over the counter. I think I just had to show my drivers license.

I would say, go if you can, there are alot of big deer in Ohio!

Buster,

I can not remember for sure but around $300.00 sticks in my mind. The good thing is that you don't have to buy all of your tags up front in case you don't have a shooting opportunity. If you shoot a doe on the first morning, you can go and get the deer checked in and then purchase another doe tag. We bought our does tags one at a time after we filled the prior tag. I think you are allowed up to 3 doe tags for the late ML season. Also, I believe Ohio only allows one buck per year, no matter what season or weapon you use.

Also, be prepared for cold temps.! We got on stand before sunup and shivered through 5 degree temps. before it warmed up. But who cares about the weather if your deer hunting. All is good in the world when hunting!

It's up to you if you want to kill a doe in the late ML season.  Just be prepared for what you will likely see.  Its happened to a friend and my brother.  When you gut the deer be prepared to see 2 or 3 perfectly formed 4 inch long fawns pop out. 

Most hunters down here shoot young of the year does or bucks.  They avoid older does because of the gestating fawn issue.