Hunting with a M1

The Engineer

I think this year I am going out on opening day with my M1. My reasons being I don't think I will have very mature bucks this year. Last year my neighbor got a 10 I was looking for and someone jacked the 9 and 8 that were walking around in my hunting area. Never heard the night shot but found the body 3 days into  the season 10 feet off the road. The 8 was gut shot under tree. 

So far I have seen 10 does and 4 point yearling following his mother around still. I am going up this weekend to check the cameras which will help me decide as I don't want to wound an animal using iron sites. I am not getting my hopes up but I do have a doe tag. We do have a ton of them walking around. Maybe with my food plots the bigger guys will come out of the mountains for a bite. 

I am going to site it anyway. Love that gun

• Like 1

I think this year I am going out on opening day with my M1. My reasons being I don't think I will have very mature bucks this year. Last year my neighbor got a 10 I was looking for and someone jacked the 9 and 8 that were walking around in my hunting area. Never heard the night shot but found the body 3 days into  the season 10 feet off the road. The 8 was gut shot under tree. 
So far I have seen 10 does and 4 point yearling following his mother around still. I am going up this weekend to check the cameras which will help me decide as I don't want to wound an animal using iron sites. I am not getting my hopes up but I do have a doe tag. We do have a ton of them walking around. Maybe with my food plots the bigger guys will come out of the mountains for a bite. 
I am going to site it anyway. Love that gun

Do it, I may use my later in the season if I decide to take a doe this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I have a new tower blind to hunt from this season with shot possibilities from 30 yards to nearly 300...I will probably take my M1 and one of my scope sighted rifles to the blind..I can use the Garand for the closer shots  and the other rifle for longer shots..

• Like 4

Currently I  have some 150 Grain Winchester power points and some 150 grain sierra game kings loaded with enough H4895 to duplicate the GI  load...They both shoot to the same point of aim and group equally well, at least as far as I can tell with my old eyes and the issue sights..If I hold my mouth right I can shoot an 8 shot clip into about 4 inches off the bench at 100 yards..

• Like 3

Currently I  have some 150 Grain Winchester power points and some 150 grain sierra game kings loaded with enough H4895 to duplicate the GI  load...They both shoot to the same point of aim and group equally well, at least as far as I can tell with my old eyes and the issue sights..If I hold my mouth right I can shoot an 8 shot clip into about 4 inches off the bench at 100 yards..

You tried these yet Pyg? I would think they would be perfect for the M1 as long as they feed properly.
e52442bb023aad82e79b65d89297fa9d.png

Nope.....Buy me a box and I'll try  'em  ....<<grin>>....

Although they are kinda funny looking...Besides, it would be tough to beat the performance of a standard 150 grain cup/core spritzer loaded to about 2700 fps in a 30-06....  Feeding COULD be an issue, however, especially since it's a semi...

As you said yourself in a recent post, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...Hehehehe...

• Like 2

Nope.....Buy me a box and I'll try  'em  ....>....
Although they are kinda funny looking...Besides, it would be tough to beat the performance of a standard 150 grain cup/core spritzer loaded to about 2700 fps in a 30-06....  Feeding COULD be an issue, however, especially since it's a semi...
As you said yourself in a recent post, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...Hehehehe...

Good point, completely off topic but I'm going to have to shoot a cup n core out of my 35 rem pump project gun because I can get any 35 cal Barnes to open up properly.

Must be the .35 Rem just hasn't got the velocity, where the bigger case 35s do...

That is probably why there is such a HUMONGOUS cavity in that .30-30  bullet...

I've had great luck with Barnes, but I tend to load them light for caliber and push them fairly fast....

• Like 1