Stand placement advice

Chef

So Ive now had this property for two years and and have done pretty good at getting in on the deer. I just figured it's always good to get some other opinions see if there is anything I have missed. I am attaching a satellite and topo maps that have some of my more used stand placements on them

fd0ab11929857a72f6253704891253cc.pngd657b398633677ff01bf299a45b7710d.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of mast?  Any everflowing drainage ravines or creeks? Impenetrable thickets?

836a2f4b1995403b363ca719acde446f.png

Ok so the orange dots I just made are better representations of where those stands are the blue line going down the hill is a rain run off drainage... the long serpentine blue line is a flowing creek. Anything on the down screen side of drainage was selectively logged a year and a half ago.

15 minutes ago, sethf11 said:

Here is where I like on that map. 8b2d5d0c713a686401442aa92e71cce3.jpg

I am with seth,i would put stands on either side of that drainage,and not far away from it. Hunt the bottom in the morning and the ridge in the afternoons,the cruising bucks know about thermals...

5 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I am with seth,i would put stands on either side of that drainage,and not far away from it. Hunt the bottom in the morning and the ridge in the afternoons,the cruising bucks know about thermals...

I find that in these folding/ravine areas if the creeks have enough flow they positively effect the thermals helping to send them straight up especially on crisp bright days...in those conditions Id hunt that ridge anytime and use the drain as my travel trail.

Edited by OtiscoPaul

That is pretty much want we have done, last year we had a stand on the other side of the drainage as well that tree fell down and we did not replace it yet but we will.

Walk that drainage and see where they are crossing. You will see the runways and sign in the mud. I bet they cross in that area and run the ravines as well. I like to see be right in those creekbeds in the mornings. They will cross and run up and down it. Get up on the ridge in the afternoons.