Any good bear recipes?

buffalojay83

Hello,

I was talking to a coworker about hunting etc, and how I'm hoping to snag a bear this year.  She mentioned her father in law had processed a few last year and had said how it's terrible and jnot worth taking because they're greasy, nasty, gross, yada yada..... Buuuuut I gotta see for myself.  So any delicious bear recipes out there you guys and gals could refer to me would be beary nice.   see what i did there?

Heaven forbid! Don't believe a word of it! But, just like so many folks who talk down about poorly prepared/ cooked venison, the same goes more so for bear.

Properly cared for bear is fine eating, with exceptions...if they are garbage fed, they tend to be off taste. Just like a deer or beef/ pig, etc. once killed you need to quickly gut and cool it. the black hide soaks up the sun. they usually have a lot of fat, and you want to remove absolutely as much as possible, though In the old days, it was prized for lard. Keep it clean, and do not hang it in the sun!

We prefer to cook it like pot roast, it must be well done for trichiniosis concerns. SEveral friends who avidly hunt them each year prefer bear over venison, especially ground. I decided to risk complicaitons, and grilled an awesome rare steak a couple times....no trich. concerns yet! the backstraps marinate and grill like you would pork tenderloin. Once you clean and trim them, you will be surpised at how beautiful the roasts appear....not at all greasy, etc. Definetly the voice of the inexperienced.

• Like 1