JabzXtreme

New Long Island Hunter

Hello fellow LI Hunters,

I see there is no active online community for Long Island Hunters, if you know of one please tell me! This post may help like minded googlers find their way.

I'm Shaun, I'm 30, and I live in Suffolk and I'm a beginner to intermediate  experienced small game public land hunter. Before I came to NY, I was hunting Small Game and Wild Hogs in Florida and we had a very active public land community that got together for hunts or just became online hunter friends who shared their experiences. I hunted for Shotgun Deer a few times but no luck so I'm a real newbie Deer hunter and I only have a crossbow so Archery's out for me right now.

I guess I'm just looking to meet some people, either here online or IRL if we fancy one another's company. I'm a lonely hunter as I lost my mentor when I was very young. So I'm a research hound - I'm a techie guy and I learn everything I can from hunting shows, magazines, books, online communities and friends, youtube,  google earth, etc.

So this'll be my first year hunting in Suffolk Public Land, primarily for Small Game - Squirrels, Rabbits, Woodcock, Pheasant, possibly Turkey. I'd love to hook up with some folks to show me some Waterfowl or Geese Hunting, or even Deer or introduce me to Archery. As I'm new to the lands anyone looking for a buddy to explore and learn some woods with would be cool.

I also know the deal with Small Game guys and Archery guys preferring to hunt apart, so I hope not to step on any toes and hope the check station would distribute parking spots accordingly.

I'm not new on Public Land, just here on Long Island :).

If you have anything you'd like to chime in with feel free or send me a PM!

Thanks for reading!

Edited by JabzXtreme

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By downrangedude
      downrangedude here, a quirky and not-so-cool but cool sports enthusiast. Loves to hunt, fish, snowboard and camp more than hamburgers. I am yet another outdoor guy from Texas who loves to brag all I know, and FYI I know a lot.
    • By AndyM830
      Hello,
      i know this is a long shot but I am looking for a lease  for the 2018 season and beyond within an hour of Albany. The lease is mostly for deer hunting but would also maybe hunt bear and turkey. The lease would be for myself and 1-2 other hunters. We are responsible ethical hunters who would sign a liability agreement and follow all land owners rules. Ideally this will be a long term lease. The only reason I’m looking for new hunting land is I have a 1 year old son and want to hunt closer to home to be able to spend more time with him.  I have tried that invention called google and have also called most farms in my area. If you don’t have land to lease maybe you may be able to steer me in the direction of 1. I’m trying to avoid state land so I can hang cameras and stands and I like knowing where other hunters are in the area. Thanks for any help

andy
    • By alplausoutdoorsman
      Any farmers/farms in 5H or surrounding able to let me hunt on their land? I'm a new 17 year old Hunter.
    • By alplausoutdoorsman
      Hey guys, I'm a 17 year old who's looking into hunting. I'm an avid self taught outdoorsman and I've been having lots of trouble finding land to hunt on. I would love to see some people reach out to not only me but other young hunters as well and help them find lands to hunt on. 
    • By JBones
      Can anyone recommend a good tick repellent that doesn't stink too badly? I typically spray my gear and clothes and check myself over very thoroughly when I get home. I also have my wife look me over to get a second set of eyes and to have someone check spots I can't see. This weekend I went out for about 5 hours on Saturday afternoon. It was pretty warm so I sprayed and checked. Thought I was good when I was done but I woke up the next morning to a tick chomping down on my junk (yeah, that junk). I take tick nosode and tick pathogen regularly so I wasn't too freaked about infection. I got it out pretty quickly, took an antibiotic for 2 days. I feel OK  and no bullseye so I think I'm OK but I definitely DO NOT want that to happen again.  I'm a ground hunter so I'm sure ticks will always be a problem to deal with but I want to limit exposure as much as possible.
      Any recommendations?